Peeping Chicks

NCgirl21

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jun 15, 2012
Concord, North Carolina
My 4 chicks hatched on Saturday and they peep like mad sometimes. Does this mean they are distressed or do they just do it to hear themselves talk sometimes? Even now, all 4 are eating and someone or two is peeping! They can't possibly be upset while eating like crazy, right?

Chicks do like to peep ALOT! Especially in those first couple of weeks. You will hear them day and night. As they get older it gets better.... or else you get more used to it.
roll.png

As long as they are eating, drinking, pooping, and moving around the brooder they are probably just making normal chick noise. The distress peep is alot more shrill.

My 5 week olds have been in a section of the coop for a couple of weeks.... I can hear them peeping like crazy as I walk up to the coop, it's a soft, gentle sounding peep. But, when one or two get separated or another chicken scares one, it starts peeping a very shrill, urgent sound..... I always know to go out and check on them when I hear it.

They like to socialize
smile.png

My 4 chicks hatched on Saturday and they peep like mad sometimes. Does this mean they are distressed or do they just do it to hear themselves talk sometimes? Even now, all 4 are eating and someone or two is peeping! They can't possibly be upset while eating like crazy, right?
welcome-byc.gif

Back
Top Bottom