Peeping vs clucking

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mamabigbird, Jul 23, 2010.

1. mamabigbird

mamabigbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2010
    Vancouver Island, B.C.,
    We have six and a half week old chicks and I think their voices are changing. How old are they when they actually start clucking. Right now half of them are still peeping and half are sort of whistling, and it sounds like "Chib- chub" while whistling. A pleasant sound really. When they start clucking is it time to switch from this chick site to chicken behaviors? LOL:lol:

2. LizGled628

LizGled628 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Rhode Island
    Never switch!! I never want to leave this forum!!

Although I DID post in Egglaying and Chicken Behaviors yesterday and everyone was really sweet.

3. BigSkyChickens

BigSkyChickens Free Bird

Apr 3, 2009
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    Oh, I adore the voice changing phase! I think my Wyandotte got her matronly cluck at about 6 - 7 months old.

My little girls were honking a couple weeks ago, which was really funny.

The 15 week old Easter Eggers sound like monkeys "eeee, eeee, oooh", and I could have sworn I heard a "bip-boop" from a 17 week old Barred Rock this morning.

They are all starting to add that inflection that makes the "bawk" sound like a question. [​IMG]

Enjoy your chicks - They will be chickens before you know it!
    [​IMG]

4. BeccaB00

BeccaB00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Kansas
    hmm we have about 5 4-5 month old chicks right now and they STILL sound like a baby. so I don't have an answer to that one [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 24, 2010
  5. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I have five different sets of chickens in different ages. It's hysterical. There's cluckers and crowers in two of the groups: 9 month olds and 20 week olds. Then I have four 15 week olds, with THREE baby roos practicing their crows and one very, very quiet pullet. She's a bantam black cochin. She mumbles a lot. [​IMG]

Then there's the four 11 week olds, who are starting to sound more like chickens every day. But they peep at night, even though they put themselves to roost. They're going to be let out of their separation pen tomorrow.

And then there are the four 7 week olds. All they do is peep: interested peeps, curious peeps, distressed peeps (as it gets closer to dusk and starts to cool down). BUT they all put themselves to bed upstairs in their coop by themselves TONIGHT!!! They went UP the ladder, which is over two feet long!

6. KDOGG331

KDOGG331 Chicken Obsessed

Jan 18, 2008
    Massachusetts
    awww, they sound so cute! i bet they're really cute when their voices change! [​IMG] congrats! [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by