Peeping

moeell1

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 17, 2010
Well I'm just curious to know, I've read that you can hear chickens peeping before they hatch, is this true with bobwhite quails as well? On what day should we hear this? We are on day 22 and hear nothing yet but maybe we shouldn't?!

My coturnix started their peeping after they pipped, on the day they hatched (today!) Not sure about the bobwhites, I'm sure they will soon! At first I thought I was just brushing the styrofoam and making it squeak...
big_smile.png

To pip means to break the shell from the inside of the egg(the chick), From my experience it's been a little tiny triangular shape with a crack up the middle that I could barely make out with out a flashlight pointed into my incubator (lid closed) at each egg sometimes it's several hairlins cracks in a general area too... but once you see it, you know something is changing! run a search on pip pictures, you'll get a lot of different types, chicken, game ect., but they all look pretty simular. For mine, after they pipped, they took a 12 hour + (still hatching) break and then from the pip, did a can opener type thing and kept cracking at the top of the shell until they popped the lid off and popped out(I had them pointy end down in the incubator) Hope this made sense and helped, remember, this is my first hatch too! I'm sure you'll have some more expert advice soon!!! Good Luck and happy hatching!!!
jumpy.gif
Keep us updated please!!!!

Last edited:
Oh yes I see the pip on some of the eggs......oh this is so exciting!!! My bobwhites are due till Wed that is 24 days.....i can't wait!!
yippiechickie.gif
:

OMG we just heard some peeping........how exciting!! I might need to call in sick too work tomorrow
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom