Peeps dying! Help!!!!!!

Lost another today...
I have them under a red bulb-
As far as the dust bathing- they sort of seem like they are doing that, but when they turn upside down, curl their toes and lay there for 30 seconds with their eyes closed, that's definitely not what it is.

I called Ideal and they said they probably had a rough shippment and to give them some antibiotics. I think if it were a rough shipment, they would have shown signs way before this- it has been almost two weeks since I got them. They seem perfectly fine, then all of a sudden, it do that seizure thing and the next time I go to check on it, it's dead. I think its a neurologic, but i'm no vet. it's pretty quick too. The ones that were getting picked on, I separated out, blue coted, and they are doing fine for now, but we will see.

I'm off to Farm and tractor for antibiotics and medicated feed...
Thank you for all your best wishes for the kids...
Lisa

Too bad antibiotics are still recommended for anything people don't have an answer to. I doubt it is bacterial, and if it isn't, giving antibiotics will just increase the percentage of resistant bacteria.

Seizures sound to be neurological and diet or breeder diet related. Could be a bad batch of feed you are giving, or a vitamin deficient batch the breeder pairs could have been getting. Crested breeds are often very suceptable to brain damage due to exposed portions of their brain under their head vault. "fancier" birds for me have also never been as hardy as the standard backyard types either.

What ever it is, best of luck.

Hey Peepermom, let us know what is/was going on with your peeps. i am so sorry to hear this. Can you take a few to a local vet to have things diagnosed? It does sound kin do neurological. Too bad. fornese

I got home and all was ok- we will see if we lose any tonight- I called F&T before I left to see if they had any meds and they don't carry that kind of stuff and I would need to call the vet. Neither of my vets deal with chickens, so I have to guess on this one. I've thought this over and I'm going to wait and see for a day before I start medicating. I still think it's a neuro- has anyone dealt with anything like this? How do I even quarentine for this- they all look normal until right before they die- very strange...
Lisa

Back
Top Bottom