Peeps in the Coop! How Many Days...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by SB Austex, Jun 21, 2010.

1. SB Austex

SB Austex Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2010
    Austin
    ...should they be shut in at night to make sure it is imprinted?

It is their 5th night outside and I've gone down at dusk to help them in each evening. The big girls, the Dots, got it down from the get go. Before tonight, the six littles milled around near the coop, peeping until I showed up to 'help' them in. They didn't seem to like that getting dark thing after being inside for their whole lives. Tonight was only their second night without their brooder box tucked in the coop. I went down to put them in and everyone was in the coop! I was such a proud mama tonight.

So it's really hot here (already a month of 90+) and so far it's been cooling (hah!) to the upper 70's at night. The coop is built in the run and is pretty predator proof (see photo below). I don't plan to shut them in every night in the future, but figure it's a good idea for now. The peeps are right around 6 weeks old. How long should I shut them in at night until they are well imprinted on the process?

[​IMG]

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Nice coop and run! [​IMG]
    If at all possible I would keep the youngin's cooped up for a week solid. That should imprint it in their little minds that the coop is indeed home and where they need to be each night.

3. chickerdoodle

chickerdoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Oregon
    I set my chicks in the hen-house at 6 1/2 weeks of age and kept them in it for two nights and days. The third morning I opened the pop door for the first time so they could go in the run and they put themselves to sleep every night themselves since and they are 9 weeks old now. Our coop is a Forte Knox so they can go in and out as they please. You'll need to imprint where they sleep before they get full use of the run. You may need to do it a little longer since they have been outdoors already, but they will probably realize its comfy indoors at night! Oh, nice coop too! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by