peepsnbunnies!!! I got a Q? for you!!

shelleyd2008

the bird is the word
11 Years
Sep 14, 2008
Adair Co., KY
Okay, just how big are your coturnix quail?? I was thinking they were the 'normal' browns, but now I'm not so sure!! These babies I have from your eggs are already about the same size as my little normal brown male, and they are only about 4 weeks old!! I think I have jumbos, and didn't even know it!
gig.gif

So, size-wise, how big are they? If you hold one in your hand, can you close your fingers? Or do you need to hold them with two hands just to make sure they don't get away(provided you don't have teeny tiny hands
tongue.png
)? My normal male I can almost close my hand around him, and my jumbos I have to hold them good, usually with two hands. I usually have half their bodies and one wing if I grab them with one hand, and if they fight me I have to hold onto them with both.

Just curious, since I was going to take the extra males to the sale, but if they are jumbos, I'll have to keep at least one male!!

I know Lisa has jumbos. I got some eggs from her due in a week or so. Yea there's a good chance you got a jumbo from her.

You know, I kinda wonder if she does't have both? I was checking my babies a little while ago, and there are some that are 'normal' sized, and some that are jumbo sized? I don't think there would be that much difference in the sizes, since they are all the same age? Any thoughts? And were the heck is peepsnbunnies at??
gig.gif

Hey Shelley -
Don't know how I missed this post, I am on here at least a couple of times a day. Sorry. Anyway, I think most of those eggs were jumbos. I had both kinds. Now, since DH processed most of the quail, all I have left is 2 quads of jumbos and I kept a trio of normals because I thought they were pretty, they are not the normal dark brown, they are lighter reddish brown. Very pretty.

Yes, my jumbos are "2 handers"! I will probly stick with the jumbos from now on, except for my little reddish guys. Do coturnix come in cinnamon? Do you think that is what they are? I'll try to take pics tomorrow and post pics.

Lisa

I'm not too familiar with the coturnix colors, but I would think it was maybe goldens? Or rosettas? I did have one male that was a little smaller than the others, but I didn't keep him. The one male adult that I have was bought at an auction last fall with his mates, my son thinks they were his pets! I guess that's what this guy will be, or I could give him a few big girls, and just use them for eating eggs! My son loves quail eggs! Oh, nd there were 5 that were male for sure. A few of the 'females' that I kept are still questionable, but I'll recheck them before I go back to the auction this week. Thanks for the response!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom