PeeWee is sick! UPDATE..FINAL Necropsy Results Page 6

Leslieb118

Songster
8 Years
Nov 8, 2011
Louisville
Good morning.
I have a nine month old frizzle roo. For the last two days I've been trying to treat him for a runny, swollen eye. Just one of them. He's been very standoffish for a couple of days. I figured my EE Rooster might have pecked him in the eye. He's been showing his authority with everyone lately. When I free range the chickens, the EE Rooster will chase PeeWee into hiding, usually in deep brush and trees. It takes me awhile to find him since he's so small, and he stays silent when I call his name. Normally I call him, and he comes running. My lap chicken, my buddy. Not for the last couple of days though. I've noticed today that besides some swelling on that side of his face, his comb is pink now. It was bright red, like in my avatar pic. I've checked him for lice and mites and I haven't found any. I did sprinkle some Sevin dust in the coop last week when I cleaned it out. I also keep a kitty litter pan in the coop filled with dirt and DE for dustbathing. I put some Sevin in there as well. I haven't noticed any bugs per se, but with the warm weather lately I wanted to stay ahead of the game. PeeWee is also on the thin side. He always has been, but even more so the last couple of days. He does eat. I opened the coop door this morning and he started eating immediately. I gave him some scrambled egg yesterday, and some just a few minutes ago. His poo seems normal..he pooped on me actually after he ate some egg in my lap. He has to turn his head way around to look at things even when his goopy eye is open. I've been putting Veterycin eye gel on/in his eye a few times a day. I don't know what else to do. I will mention that I've not ever dewormed him, or any of them. He's only 9 months old. I do have some Ivermectin paste (for my horses) if that's what is possibly needed. I also have a packet of Duramycin that I can put in his water. None of my other chickens are having any issues, which had led me to believe he might've gotten pecked. Any suggestions and help is greatly appreciated!!

Last edited:
I've been cleaning his eye off, washing with eye wash and then putting a drop of Veterycin in his eye a few times a day. It just seems like something else could be going on here because his comb is pale pink. One thing throwing me off is that it's only one eye that is bothering him, leading me to believe an injury more than an illness. I don't know...
he.gif

It may be a nutrient deficiency. How much sun is he getting? Also, if your roosters are fighting I think it would be best to keep the protective but gentle rooster and get rid of the other one by donating, cooking, selling, etc. My rooster got a puntare wound in his eye and it healed fine but was blinded on that side for life. If yours heals fine, you'll be good but if he's blinded too then your rooster might attack him even more seeing that he's at a big disadvantage.

They are outside all day everyday. Their run is 10X30 with a 10x10 area covered and shaded, and 10x20 area (covered) in full sun. They have 5 acres to play on, but usually stay fairly close to the coop.

Last edited:
I've been doing everything to figure out what's going on with my little roo. His comb and wattles are very pale, and he's lethargic. I've cleaned out the coop, put Sevin everywhere. I've put Frontline on him, because he's such a lap chicken that he lets me do anything I need to. I did see some little brownish bugs on him..not many, but enough for me to clean the coop and do what I did. He's losing weight despite eating. He eats a scrambled egg every morning the last few days. I've given him vitamins by mouth as well as filled the gallon waterer with Save a Chick..I've ordered some Valbazen but it's not here yet. None of the flock has been de-wormed, ever, so I'm thinking of getting some Wazine in a few minutes from TSC and starting from there. I'm afraid he's going to be too weak from all of the other things to survive a doze of Valbazen as a first wormer. Any thoughts of anything else I can do???

ETA: He is 10 months old. I have 3 month old chickens in with the 10 month olds..should I worm them all?

Last edited:
Well, I got the Wazine and put 1 oz in a one gallon waterer. The directions said 2 oz for 2 gallons for 100 chickens. I only have 18 chickens. I hope I'm doing the right thing. PeeWee is so weak!

If you can get rid of the bugs and give him good food and water he might make it. My homemade recipe for a weak chicken is to take eggs, hard boil them, mash the yolks up, add a little bit of water to it to make it pasty, and feed it to him thrrough a needless syringe. Hope it helps!

Another question. Since I'm now having to toss eggs since dosing with Wazine, should I feed them back to PeeWee only? I didn't plan on feeding them to any of the chickens, but I do give him scrambled eggs and he loves them. I can't see tossing all of them if it's ok for him to eat them and I'd like to save the ones I've collected before the Wazine to eat myself. I know with hens, it would extend the withdrawal time if fed back to them, but he's a boy, so....
Also, when I picked up the Wazine this morning, I grabbed some VetRx. I warmed it and put some on his head, on his eyes and under his wings as suggested for a "cold". I know chickens don't get colds per se, so I'm basically grasping at straws here until I get a differing opinion. He eats, he drinks, and stands fluffed up. His normal diet is Flock Raiser, and free ranging. He's very slow moving when he walks, but can jump up on the roost.
Thanks Sylvestor for your input!!

Wazine is only good for round worms. He will likely need that broad spectrum wormer at some point in the near future. Valbazen is very safe, so don't worry about stressing him too much.

How is his eye looking at this point? Does he have any facial swelling with it? Any discharge from the nostrils? Any funky smells coming from it? I think you are doing all you can for the eye if it is indeed an injury.

The pale comb may mean nothing. If he was knocked down on the pecking order his comb may pale as a result of hormonal fluctuations. Pale combs are generally only good for diagnosing suspected anemia/blood loss. You have treated him and the others for bugs, so that should not be the issue. I would not judge his overall health by comb color at this point.

If he will eat eggs then I would feed them to him. He is not being used for breed stock currently and doesn't lay, so I don't see the harm in it. They may help to beef him up a little bit.

I wish I could tell you more. It sounds like you have a good handle on the situation. You are doing everything you could be doing without going overboard.

Back
Top Bottom