PeeWee is sick! UPDATE..FINAL Necropsy Results Page 6

Well, I'm about to lose another Rooster. Instead of starting a new thread, I thought I'd add to this one, in the event that the issues are connected. My oldest rooster, an EE that is 15 months old is on his last legs. He was in the original batch of chicks with PeeWee. This all started about a month ago, when my younger Welsummer Roo which is now 8 months old decided (I thought) to challenge Nicky (EE) for top dog. Nicky ran screaming like a little girl into hiding. He'd been picked on, while molting, until his tail was a bloody mess. All the girls followed him around just picking on it. I cleaned him up, put blue kote on him, and began the tedious task of separating him every day to keep him safe. When everyone exited both coops in the morning, I'd lock him in the one the girls don't lay eggs in. (He preferred that over being in the run or out in the open). I'd never, ever been able to catch him before. He now follows me everywhere, and when threatened, flies right up on my shoulder.

Yesterday when I began the process of letting everyone out, feeding and watering, I noticed Nicky was off balance. I separated him as usual while I went on my errands and then came home to let them all out of the run for their free time. Everyone went to the tree line to play in the leaves on the ground, and Nicky followed me as usual, but a little slower. I noticed when he tried to turn around to preen under a wing that he'd fall backwards. I then noticed white urates dripping from his vent uncontrollably. I tried to clean him up as best as I could but the dripping just wouldn't stop. I isolated him with some water and game bird feed to try to up his energy, some vitamins in the water..etc, etc..

This morning, I let them out, and let Nicky out of his "hospital" coop (a playskool playhouse that no chickens have ever been in) and now he is very wobbly and quite constipated. He's trying to pass his "droppings" but it just won't "drop" He's standing fluffed up right in front of the dog kennel while all of the other chickens are still in the run. He's acting like PeeWee in the wobbly sense, but the other symptoms aren't the same. I plan on putting him down today, as soon as the sun comes up a little more and I send hubby off to work with breakfast.

It seems that maybe the other rooster might have known that Nicky wasn't in good health all along and was really picking on him for a reason. Even my little Sebright Roo is dominant over him now. If he finds him, he attacks, and is 1/4 his size.

Very sorry to hear about Nicky poor guy. I am hoping its not the same thing. Do you plan on having a neocropsy done on him?

Very sorry to hear about Nicky poor guy. I am hoping its not the same thing. Do you plan on having a neocropsy done on him?

Thanks. I haven't decided on a necropsy yet, and I haven't put him down yet. I had to run to TSC. I'm debating on seeing whether or not he can hold on until monday when I can take him to UofK myself and have them euthanize and do necropsy, or putting him down now without getting one done. I have 2 refrigerators..one in the house and one in the garage where my hubby keeps his beer and for any overflow that won't fit inside the house. Right now I have my Thanksgiving turkey in the outside fridge thawing and I just can't imagine putting Nicky in there with it, double bagged or even quadruple bagged for that matter. I really don't think he'll hold on until monday. He's in the playhouse, where I put him this morning before I left..door open, no run..can go anywhere he wants to. He's standing fluffed up in the same spot I put him. I'm not sure what to do.

I did that, but sadly he died on saturday. He was regurgitating every time he lowered his head. Clear fluid was coming out. All of the same symptoms PeeWee had in the last day or two of his life. I think the flock knew a month ago that he wasn't well, because he was really knocked down in the pecking order. About the same way Nicky did with PeeWee right before he got sick. Nicky would chase PeeWee into the woods away from the flock. Nicky was being treated that way as well. I think chickens must have a sense long before illnesses are visible to us. I didn't send him in for a necropsy, because like I said before, I just didn't want to put him in the outside fridge with my Thanksgiving turkey.

Thanks Seminolewind for the advice, though!

Sorry for your loss...
I did that, but sadly he died on saturday. He was regurgitating every time he lowered his head. Clear fluid was coming out. All of the same symptoms PeeWee had in the last day or two of his life.
This is often just part of the dying process... Organs begin to shut down and food/water stay in the crop instead of being digested.

I think the flock knew a month ago that he wasn't well, because he was really knocked down in the pecking order. About the same way Nicky did with PeeWee right before he got sick. Nicky would chase PeeWee into the woods away from the flock. Nicky was being treated that way as well. I think chickens must have a sense long before illnesses are visible to us. I didn't send him in for a necropsy, because like I said before, I just didn't want to put him in the outside fridge with my Thanksgiving turkey.

Thanks Seminolewind for the advice, though!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom