Peggy + clipped wings: penned or not?

So, we're putting together the temporary pen for Peggy.
Although I understand that it's not the best choice, we put a tarp over the top, because this pen is not permanent and it is also not in strong direct sunlight to damage the tarp (it's under a tree).
I want to feel secure that it is safe before we put Peggy into it.
We put it on the flagstones so we don't have to worry about digging coyotes.
As far as I can think, we don't have any predators here that can fit through chain link and might be a threat to a pea.
Just for the sake of argument, are there any skinny pea predators I should worry about?

In the works (it's overcast here, that's why it looks so dark):

Yes, we put in a nice long oak branch for him to perch on.
Although he's been roosting on the ground in the chicken coop he's in at the moment...doesn't want to mingle with the chickens, I guess.

Okay, good... That said, the only animals that fit through/under our chain-link fence are skunks, and I don't worry too much about them messing with the peas.

Is there any reason to worry about racoons?
That's the only creature I can think of that might be able to get into the pen (if they can squeeze themselves down to a very small size).

OK, stupid question, but...
Is there anything I can do to help Peggy grow his wing feathers faster?
For example, does a higher protein diet help feather production?

Thanks!

Is there any reason to worry about racoons?
That's the only creature I can think of that might be able to get into the pen (if they can squeeze themselves down to a very small size).
I read somewhere that a coon can get through a 4" hole and I've seen skunks go through 2x4 welded wire.

Last edited:
Sorry, more questions, but I'd welcome advice about feeding a pea in a pen.
I have never had a pea completely dependent upon me for food, and I'm afraid he might need something he's not getting.

This is what I have been giving him:
Sunflower seeds, millet (he loves millet), chicken scratch, peanuts, mealworms, bluberries, lettuce, garbanzo beans and edamame (don't think he ate them). Offered him melon and banana but he didn't eat it. I also tried to give him cat food but he didn't seem interested. There's live wheatgrass and watercress growing in his pen (he seems quite fond of the watercress).

What is he missing? Should I get some of that game bird food they have at the feed store?
I tried to feed him scrambled eggs when he was confined before and he wasn't interested, should I try again?

It's a little tricky feeding him because he has a lot of company in his pen. All kind of wild birds, as well as squirrels, come in through the chain link to share his meals.

Thanks for any advice!

Back
Top Bottom