Peggy + clipped wings: penned or not?

For those of you who are Friends of Peggy, or for future reference for others who may wonder, I wanted to let you know that Peggy just now dropped the last secondary flight feather that was rudely clipped. So, from total (criminal) clipping of all primaries and secondaries to finally dropping the last cut feather took almost 15 months! Of course, I don't know if this is normal timing.

Of course, he has been out and flying for months now, the sweet boy!

*I should add, for those that don't know Peggy's story, that he was kidnapped last year by some evil someone who clipped all of his flight feathers. Luckily I got him back!

Last edited:
WOW that is a long time when my cameo hen lost all her wing and tail feathers from getting in the pen with a couple pups i had here in training it took her about 6 months to grow them back, she had no tail feathers and mabe 3 wing feather let, most of them were not blood feathers any longer and apperently pulled right out when the pups got a hold of her, the pups did not cause any open wounds so i was thankfull their training was working.

From what I understand, if feathers gets yanked out, the empty follicles will immediately start producing new feathers. So many feathers can be growing in at the same time. But since Peggy's were cut, he just had to go through the whole moulting process and lose one feather at a time in order.

This is how I think it works, anyways! Definitely not 100% sure...

Yea you are right, i just didn't realize some of them took so long but wing feathers area must for escape so i am sure they are molted one every once in a while unlike the dropping of the train which can be done in a week or less.

I found an interesting peacock wing feather today guessing it is around 18 inches long , half is black with iridescent and the other half is barred pattern, i will get a photo of it tomorrow
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom