Peggy Sue is Suddenly Not Doing Well

Pamelatk

In the Brooder
Feb 3, 2019
Hi there,
Our hen Peggy Sue was attacked by a raccoon a month ago. She had a terrible wound, but it was healing nicely, she was eating well, talking (loves my husband) active and we were almost certain she was going to make it. Two days ago she started pulling out her feathers, not eating well at all, looks pale and has yellow diarrhea. She also has a light amount of amber drainage from the wound, which has started scanning over. She has had a series of Clavamox (in the beginning,) we were treating her wound with Triple Antibiotic and Aquaphor and Wound Kote, twice daily. We are now using Vetericyn Utility Spray and Vetercyn Antimicrobial Hydrogel 3 times per day. She had even gotten to where she was giving us a hard time at treatment time, but now she does not look well and is not moving much, not talking or eating well. The first pic is the day after she was injured, the second is today and the third is how pitiful she looks. (BTW, no vet in our area takes care of chickens, ducks or geese.)
Any advice will be greatly appreciated! We really do love our little sweetheart with a stout heart!

Attachments

• IMG_2090.jpeg
    IMG_2090.jpeg
    462.1 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_2216.jpeg
    IMG_2216.jpeg
    467.9 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2217.jpeg
    IMG_2217.jpeg
    433.3 KB · Views: 15
Sorry about your hen going down hill. Do the wounds seem like it is getting infected with a bad odor or pus? What are her droppings like? Pictures can help. Is her crop filling up during the day, and emptying by the next morning? A crop disorder or yeast infection might make her feel bad. Where is she pulling her feathers out? Has she started to molt after her attack? Have you tried giving some probiotics after she was on antibiotics? I think that clavamox is a really strong antibiotic, and amoxicillin may be a little more gentle on their systems. Antibiotics may not be needed if she is not having a wound infection, and could add to a crop yeast infection.

Has she had any visits or visitors from her flock? Having one nearby where she could seem them might perk her up. What is her diet? A balanced chicken feed with a little egg or tuna is good. I vary egg, tuna, with a little ground meat or canned cat food, but keep the chicken feed as 90% of the diet, and moisten it.

I think if her wounds seem clean, then you might be able to ease up on wound care, maybe just using one or two of the mildest products daily. Can she walk around and peck at things? Does she get outside? Just some suggestions that might help. Sometimes predators cause internal injuries that may show up later, but I hope that she makes it.

The amber fluid may be serous fluid (serum, plasma) which contain fluid and proteins. It can take weeks for skin to grow over a wound, or for the edges to come together.

Back
Top Bottom