Pekin bantam hen can’t swallow and froth in mouth

:frowHi there!

Wow! It’s evident that poor little hen is super sick.

Gosh is she a trooper or what?:eek:I don’t know how she’s endured this for MONTHS. Poor thing! Did you think it was a transient issue?

How is she this morning?

I’m an early riser. I saw your thread last night as I was going to bed. I wasn’t feeling good so I didn’t comment.

I was really hoping that by now, 9 hour’s after @Texas Kiki and @azygous responded to your post you would have finally posted a picture of the INSIDE of your chickens mouth.
They asked you for this on posts #3 and #4. That was straight-up in the beginning.
(That’s because the are both awesome and know exactly the right questions to ask right off the bat.
Me... I have to ask a million!)

Darn! I came right to this thread this morning. I was very curious to see. I’m always trying to learn. The people helping you are the best.

We ask for pictures because ...well, you know that old saying... a picture says a thousand words?

Maybe you don’t understand how helpful it would be.

The first 3 pics you posted in post #9...
They are basically portraits.
They say a lot, don’t get me wrong.

They show us the chicken’s skin color, comb condition, eye brightness, posture and “attitude”.
All of these things tell part of a story.

The short version of this particular girl’s story is that WOW! This poor little chicken doesn’t feel good.
And to think she’s been sick for some time... Aww.

But it also shows that her eyes are bright! So basically to me that says she’s not ready to give up.

The picture of your fingers with goo on it isn’t focused so honestly, it doesn’t really contribute to the story in a super helpful way.

What WOULD contribute, and ultimately be of certain help, is a picture of the inside of the sick hen’s mouth.

If your goal is to save her, I urge you to collaborate with the two people who responded to you.

You are in good hands with them. Both are true experts. I would hope they’d help me if I had a chicken illness.
I’m going to follow along just to learn more about this subject.

Is she drinking plenty of water? When you are feeding her I would try to make everything pasty with water, even the boiled egg. Has she been wormed recently? Do you see any sneezing, watery eyes, or head shaking? Is there any way you could take her to a vet?

I would worm her with Safeguard Liquid Goat Wormer or the horse paste 3/4 ml orally for 5 days. If she is only 2 pounds, just give 1/2 ml, but you need to pick up a syringe if you don’t have one.

If it caused by canker I would order Fish Zole 250 mg tablets online today, and give 1 tablet every day, whole, crushed, in water, or food. Give for 5 days.

Seeing a vet might save you from treating the wrong thing. It could be a respiratory disease, possibly a fungal or thrush infection, canker or worms. Fungal/thrush can be treated with Medistatin (nystatin) found online. The more symptoms you can describe, the better, and pictures of her throat could help. You would need someone to hold her and open her beak for your pictures.

:frowHi there!

Wow! It’s evident that poor little hen is super sick.

Gosh is she a trooper or what?:eek:I don’t know how she’s endured this for MONTHS. Poor thing! Did you think it was a transient issue?

How is she this morning?

I’m an early riser. I saw your thread last night as I was going to bed. I wasn’t feeling good so I didn’t comment.

I was really hoping that by now, 9 hour’s after @Texas Kiki and @azygous responded to your post you would have finally posted a picture of the INSIDE of your chickens mouth.
They asked you for this on posts #3 and #4. That was straight-up in the beginning.
(That’s because the are both awesome and know exactly the right questions to ask right off the bat.
Me... I have to ask a million!)

Darn! I came right to this thread this morning. I was very curious to see. I’m always trying to learn. The people helping you are the best.

We ask for pictures because ...well, you know that old saying... a picture says a thousand words?

Maybe you don’t understand how helpful it would be.

The first 3 pics you posted in post #9...
They are basically portraits.
They say a lot, don’t get me wrong.

They show us the chicken’s skin color, comb condition, eye brightness, posture and “attitude”.
All of these things tell part of a story.

The short version of this particular girl’s story is that WOW! This poor little chicken doesn’t feel good.
And to think she’s been sick for some time... Aww.

But it also shows that her eyes are bright! So basically to me that says she’s not ready to give up.

The picture of your fingers with goo on it isn’t focused so honestly, it doesn’t really contribute to the story in a super helpful way.

What WOULD contribute, and ultimately be of certain help, is a picture of the inside of the sick hen’s mouth.

If your goal is to save her, I urge you to collaborate with the two people who responded to you.

You are in good hands with them. Both are true experts. I would hope they’d help me if I had a chicken illness.
I’m going to follow along just to learn more about this subject.
Thankyou for all your advice. I saw vet this morning. She had infectious laryngo tracheitis ILT. He gave her a shot of antibiotics and she went into cardiac arrest. Sad story though if anyone else has a chook who starts choking on food from time to time that’s how it started. Doxycycline pills if you know early enough or injections if chicken can’t swallow. It was sad she was so hungry but food couldn’t go down. I will miss her she was adorable. My daughter would put her in bike basket and ride around with her.

Thankyou for all your advice. I saw vet this morning. She had infectious laryngo tracheitis ILT. He gave her a shot of antibiotics and she went into cardiac arrest. Sad story though if anyone else has a chook who starts choking on food from time to time that’s how it started. Doxycycline pills if you know early enough or injections if chicken can’t swallow. It was sad she was so hungry but food couldn’t go down. I will miss her she was adorable. My daughter would put her in bike basket and ride around with her.
I'm sorry for your loss but this is not cause by choking on food.
https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poul...ew-of-infectious-laryngotracheitis-in-poultry

Is she drinking plenty of water? When you are feeding her I would try to make everything pasty with water, even the boiled egg. Has she been wormed recently? Do you see any sneezing, watery eyes, or head shaking? Is there any way you could take her to a vet?

I would worm her with Safeguard Liquid Goat Wormer or the horse paste 3/4 ml orally for 5 days. If she is only 2 pounds, just give 1/2 ml, but you need to pick up a syringe if you don’t have one.

If it caused by canker I would order Fish Zole 250 mg tablets online today, and give 1 tablet every day, whole, crushed, in water, or food. Give for 5 days.

Seeing a vet might save you from treating the wrong thing. It could be a respiratory disease, possibly a fungal or thrush infection, canker or worms. Fungal/thrush can be treated with Medistatin (nystatin) found online. The more symptoms you can describe, the better, and pictures of her throat could help. You would need someone to hold her and open her beak for your pictures.
She couldn’t eat or drink though she tried but wouldn’t go down. I mashed up boiled egg but couldn’t get that down either. She had ILT died this morning after vet gave injection of antibiotics she went into cardiac arrest.

So sorry for your loss. ILT is a very serious disease caused by a virus. I can see where she could get very sick while trying to eat food. ILT is contagious and can affect your other chickens. If any other chicken get sick, and should die, get a necropsy through your state vet. That is the only way to positively diagnose ILT and to distinguish it from canker, wet fowl pox, and some other diseases. Bloody mucus coughed up from the beak and arching the neck to breathe are common symptoms.

Back
Top Bottom