Pekin Bantams

JCW0743716600

Chirping
Sep 8, 2018
Good Afternoon

I have 13 Pekin Bantams all separated by color to avoid mixing I have...
5 Black - 4 hen's & 1 Rooster
2 Columbian - 1 hen & 1 Rooster
2 white - 1 hen & 1 Rooster

And then I have a Blue hen & a Lavender Rooster I was hoping to get them mates in the same color but haven't been able too, My question is if I pair them off what would their offspring be or look like?

Any advice or theories would be great x

Don't mix blue and lavender.
Put the blue hen with your black rooster. Can even pen it with the black hens.
Blue is a dilute of black. When bred with your black rooster she will produce about half black chicks and about half blue chicks. Your blue chicks will be blue and good to go so then you can make a blue pen or continue using them with your blacks. The black chicks will be genetically the same as your black chicks from black hens so it won't matter if they get mixed and matched.
Lavender is also a dilute of black. Bred your lavender rooster with black hens. The offspring will look black but be carrying a lavender gene. Those are called "split to lavender" it takes two lavender genes to show lavender. Breed those chicks back to lavender and you'll get half lavenders and other half will be split to lavender.
Or you can breed splits together and get 25% lavender, 50% splits and 25% blacks. With that you won't be able to tell the splits from the blacks because they will all be black.
It is best to keep the blues and the lavender separate. Other wise you'll be getting blues and blacks both carrying lavender sight unseen then later lavenders will be popping up. It becomes a mess to get them separated again and most don't want lavenders in their blue breedings.
Blue to blue will also produce splash which is easily confused with lavenders as chicks and that can cause you to be selling wrong color chicks.
Make sense?

Don't mix blue and lavender.
Put the blue hen with your black rooster. Can even pen it with the black hens.
Blue is a dilute of black. When bred with your black rooster she will produce about half black chicks and about half blue chicks. Your blue chicks will be blue and good to go so then you can make a blue pen or continue using them with your blacks. The black chicks will be genetically the same as your black chicks from black hens so it won't matter if they get mixed and matched.
Lavender is also a dilute of black. Bred your lavender rooster with black hens. The offspring will look black but be carrying a lavender gene. Those are called "split to lavender" it takes two lavender genes to show lavender. Breed those chicks back to lavender and you'll get half lavenders and other half will be split to lavender.
Or you can breed splits together and get 25% lavender, 50% splits and 25% blacks. With that you won't be able to tell the splits from the blacks because they will all be black.
It is best to keep the blues and the lavender separate. Other wise you'll be getting blues and blacks both carrying lavender sight unseen then later lavenders will be popping up. It becomes a mess to get them separated again and most don't want lavenders in their blue breedings.
Blue to blue will also produce splash which is easily confused with lavenders as chicks and that can cause you to be selling wrong color chicks.
Make sense?
Thank you so much, this really helps x

Back
Top Bottom