Pekin Behavior

I am okay with that I was just wondering what would be causing him to act like that. Thank you for letting me know
I have a drake that I rescued, resuscitated and raised from a few days old. I got him at probably 3 days from hatching, in a very sorry state, and he bonded tightly with me but was not imprinted on me. He would follow me around the house and garden, and sleep cuddled up to my feet.

I did not want a house duck for up to 15 years and so realized he needed ducky friends quickly. by 9 weeks old, I had two more drakes from a rehabber -- a muscovy of about the same age and a pekin that was 6 months older, and all three were moved outside into a coup. My original drake objects to living in a duck coop with "ducks" and tries to sneak into the house whenever he thinks he has a chance. He still follows me round the garden on occasions, demanding cuddles and petting.

That was nearly three years ago, and my original drake is again hormonal and again biting me. He went through that phase in the spring last year. My shins are black and blue, as is my right forearm!!! I love that boy, but I do not like his hormonal behavior in the spring. He should settle down by the summer. It's only me that he bites: he doesn't demand attention from my husband or son nor from various friends who come and help with the ducks when I am away from home.

@MadisonT2005 if you keep your boy in the house with you, please expect hormonal behavior every spring lasting for months. He really does need ducky friends. Has the botulism left him physically disabled in any way? I am not understanding why your vet has said he should live in doors. Perhaps you should discuss your ducks hormonal behavior with the vet?

Back
Top Bottom