Pekin Behavior

MadisonT2005

In the Brooder
Jan 26, 2024
I have a male pekin duck that lives inside because he had botulism and survived but the vet said he wouldn’t be able to live outside on his own and he was super sweet and almost like I was his person especially when my husband was out of town for about a month. Well the last two weeks he suddenly started acting like he doesn’t like me since my husband returned, he chases me and bites me all of the time now and I was wondering if anyone knew what could be the reason for this.

No, they have tried hurting him so we keep him inside with us which is what our vet recommended anyways. He wags his tail all of the time at me and quacks like he is happy.

He might be happy now, but what happens when you are away? Ducks need companionship 24/7, else they’ll get very depressed - does your vet know this? Do you really want a duck by your side for the next 10 years?

Looks like you have another drake and a hen. I’m guessing the other drake is the main one attacking this boy? For the sake of you and your ducks, it’d really be best to either re-home one of your drakes, or get more hens.

If he had botulism and survived why did the vet say he should live inside? Once they are recoverd It doesn't seem like there should be a problem. If you want to keep the other drake why not make your house duck a special place with his own coop and run right next to the other 2 so he can at least be where the other ducks are. They do thrive on their flock.
This is hormone season and it is just getting started . Your duck is wanting to mate and you are the closest thing to a duck. It won't get any better until fall.
and what would be ideal would be to get at least 3 more females that way your house duck would have a few females and your other drake would not over mate thhe female he has now. Actually the best ratio to prevent over mating and injury is 3 females per drake and more is always better.

I already knew all of this. And yes the vet does know the situation and still recommend that he does not live outside with the other ducks. I have two male drakes that live outside no females. He had botulism so he will never be normal again, meaning he needs to be inside. I have no problem caring for him, he has been inside his whole life, which is almost a year now.

If he had botulism and survived why did the vet say he should live inside? Once they are recoverd It doesn't seem like there should be a problem. If you want to keep the other drake why not make your house duck a special place with his own coop and run right next to the other 2 so he can at least be where the other ducks are. They do thrive on their flock.
This is hormone season and it is just getting started . Your duck is wanting to mate and you are the closest thing to a duck. It won't get any better until fall.

and what would be ideal would be to get at least 3 more females that way your house duck would have a few females and your other drake would not over mate thhe female he has now. Actually the best ratio to prevent over mating and injury is 3 females per drake and more is always better.

Then you'll just have to put up with his hormones.
I am okay with that I was just wondering what would be causing him to act like that. Thank you for letting me know

I have a special needs duck inside too, he cant cope with being outside. He's been inside except for playtime for 10+ years since he was born with 1 eye and has always been nervous about unfamiliar things so has felt more comfortable indoors.

He's imprinted on me but I also have other ducks indoors to be his friends. Ducks really do do better with 1-2 friends minimum even if they do love their humans.

He does get hormonal and wants to mate me but he doesn't bite or get aggressive, he just gets boisterous when he gets urges to mate.

So if you ever have the opportunity, I'd definitely recommend you get another (female) duck who can hang out indoors with him :) Some drakes don't over-mate if there's only 1 girl, but it does depend on the drake, so no guarantee that 1 female with him will work out. It does in my case though.

Back
Top Bottom