Aggressive male pekin once female started laying eggs

Duckydos

Chirping
May 8, 2023
I have one male and one female pekin duck. Every morning when I let them out the male duck gets aggressive with me. Bites at my feet and chases after me. Does this pass once mating season is over? He only seems to this in the morning and isn't aggressive with the female or chickens he's with.

It's pretty typical of drakes to act this way. My Muscovy drake gets pool time when he gets aggressive. I just pick him up and toss him into the pool once he is in there he usually has a quick bath then gets out and waddles off to preen. UNTIL Next time.
Don't run from your drake if he keeps coming after you use a broom to keep him at a distance don't hit him with it but you can use it to push him away. Some pick their drakes up and carry them around to make a statement that they are the dominant one not the drake.

Hormones will start to wane soon and hopefully, your drake won't feel so dominant.

can you catch him and hold him in your lap for five minutes every time he does this so he knows you are the boss
Also, please be vigilant and watching that your Drake does not mount any of your chicken hens. Many injuries and deaths have been reported due to Drakes with chickens

can you catch him and hold him in your lap for five minutes every time he does this so he knows you are the boss
Also, please be vigilant and watching that your Drake does not mount any of your chicken hens. Many injuries and deaths have been reported due to Drakes with chickens
I've heard about that! I'm hoping since they are all free range and the ducks and chickens keep to themselves, that I won't have an issue. I'm always watching behaviors though because you just never know.

It's pretty typical of drakes to act this way. My Muscovy drake gets pool time when he gets aggressive. I just pick him up and toss him into the pool once he is in there he usually has a quick bath then gets out and waddles off to preen. UNTIL Next time.
Don't run from your drake if he keeps coming after you use a broom to keep him at a distance don't hit him with it but you can use it to push him away. Some pick their drakes up and carry them around to make a statement that they are the dominant one not the drake.

Hormones will start to wane soon and hopefully, your drake won't feel so dominant.
Oh thats funny, I'll have to try the pool idea! I normally fill their pool up once they are out, but maybe I should do that beforehand. This morning I just ended up carrying him around because he's underfoot so much.

I have 2 boys that did that really bad the first hormone
I tried everything from timeouts to pin them down
But those only made them more angry
So I tried the pick them up abc cuddle
That seemed to work much better
I also use to use blue pool noodles to guide them into bed and would carry around a smaller piece of it and as soon as I showed it they would stop
I wasn’t able to wear sandals around them last year
This year they are much better
It still happens here and there but not daily
I think it’s instinct to protect the eggs
I also find those two boys were cuddled the most as babies and bonded with me
They don’t bite anyone else’s feet just mine
My other boys that were not held like that as babies have never tried to bite at me
Same with @Miss Lydia drake
He was cuddled as a baby

I've heard about that! I'm hoping since they are all free range and the ducks and chickens keep to themselves, that I won't have an issue. I'm always watching behaviors though because you just never know.
I don't think your drake will go after your hens out free ranging since they would probably be able to out run him, But def should be watched.

Back
Top Bottom