Will my pekins ever get along with my call ducks?

AllThoseFloofs

In the Brooder
May 28, 2022
I have 3 pekin ducks ( 1 male, 2 female,about 1 year old) and 6 call ducks (2 female, 4 unknown,about 10 weeks old, and fully feathered). One of my pekin females has a leg deformity, and doesn't walk very well. She was introduced to my calls early on and they get along well. My other female pekin gets along fine with the calls during free range time and in the runs, but is a little agressive in the coop so she hasn't been left unsupervised with the calls yet. My male pekin does and always has shown aggressive behavior through fences, so he hasn't been introduced to the calls yet at all. (He is also aggressive towards our chickens, so he hasn't interacted with them either). So my main question is: will my male pekin ever be able to interact with my call ducks? Or will he always be aggressive. And if he is able to be around the calls, what would be the best way to introduced them?

For now do what you’re doing intros through fencing. I use a large dog crate in the coop for aggressive bullies and for intros. This lets everyone sleep inside their house together but keeps the bullies or newbies safe. Hopefully by Sept your Pekin drake will be less hormonal and have a better attitude towards the Calls. All you can do is keep trying.

For now do what you’re doing intros through fencing. I use a large dog crate in the coop for aggressive bullies and for intros. This lets everyone sleep inside their house together but keeps the bullies or newbies safe. Hopefully by Sept your Pekin drake will be less hormonal and have a better attitude towards the Calls. All you can do is keep trying.
Thank you! I will try using the dog crate.

When my 4 Call Drakes about a year old now were in my large pen with the larger hens and my Rouen/Mallard Drake all was fine. Then mating season came and the Rouen/Mallard Drake has one female he likes to mate and was making her head bleed. I separated him and the 4 Call Drakes as they too were chasing the females all around. I first had separated the Calls and then when I put the Rouen/Mallard in with them it was Game On!!! They chased the Rouen/Mallard, all 4 of them trying to get him so I separated part of the drake pen so that they can see each other but not touch each other. Now there is peace. I don't know if it was because they are all in a smaller area or if they were just mad because they no longer have access to all of the hens. Calls can be really feisty little stinkers. I am going to rehome a couple of them and some of my drakes to bring peace to the flock. I hate to get rid of them but it's not fair to them or the hens. Good luck with yours.

My 11 Hens I have now and the two smallest Call Drakes are altogether and there seems to be peace. I have not seen any problems yet and the girls still have all of their feathers on their heads. I am glad I did what I did by rehoming my 7 drakes. Life is much more peaceful for the whole flock.

Back
Top Bottom