My drake is acting aggressive twards me and his friend

Naiva80512

Chirping
Jul 22, 2023
Hi I have two 8 months drakes..one anacona and one Pekin the Pekin one is acting very aggressive for about a week now..He is constantly biting me when I try to change their water and food and he run after my sister very rapidly to bite her foot today..He was chasing her basically..He also bites my anacona's head very badly..I'm scared for my anacona..what should I do to calm his behavior? And the bites are not friendly at all..They give me bad looking scars!

Hes imprinted on you, so hes trying to make you submit. He needs girl ducks because there's nothing more hormonal than a drake. If he's leaving scars he needs to go.

I c
Hes imprinted on you, so hes trying to make you submit. He needs girl ducks because there's nothing more hormonal than a drake. If he's leaving scars he needs to go.
I can't give poor hens to this monster 💀 he destroys them..Is he going to be calmer when he gets older? And there is a chance that he hurts my Ancona? Should I separate them?

I don't think it is imprinting. It's normal drake behavior in adolescence in the spring and likely every year for the next few years. My flock is all drakes and they have started their drake nonsense already -- I had hoped to have some peace through January!!!

Mine have started their pecking order behavior and there has been a change in the order. I caught Daffy, who is top of the pecking order all the time except when he is off color/molting, standing on Butter who was bottom of the pecking order and ignored by Daffy previously. Then I realized that Butter is now senior to O Pato. Meanwhile Daffy is biting my ankles and shins [hard] trying to tell me he is my boss duck too, He is not, and daffy gets squirted with the hose if its in my hand and picked up and dumped in the wading pool if the hose is not to hand. I have an ongoing issue with O Pato attacking my feet from behind and he to is dropped int he wading pool -- he ates water.

@Naiva80512 best to manage the bullying be separating the two drakes at night. I use dog crates in my duck house to separate my ducks at nights. But any other way of partitioning their sleeping space would likely work. I find the main bullying goes on at night in the confines of the coop. During the day mine free range and there is enough space and shrubbery for the warring parties to lose each other. However, if you have a small run for your ducks, you might have to partition the run too, to stop the bullying. Mine have always had the pecking order bullying for 3 or 4 months in the spring with a shorter recurrence later in the summer.

I don't think it is imprinting. It's normal drake behavior in adolescence in the spring and likely every year for the next few years. My flock is all drakes and they have started their drake nonsense already -- I had hoped to have some peace through January!!!

Mine have started their pecking order behavior and there has been a change in the order. I caught Daffy, who is top of the pecking order all the time except when he is off color/molting, standing on Butter who was bottom of the pecking order and ignored by Daffy previously. Then I realized that Butter is now senior to O Pato. Meanwhile Daffy is biting my ankles and shins [hard] trying to tell me he is my boss duck too, He is not, and daffy gets squirted with the hose if its in my hand and picked up and dumped in the wading pool if the hose is not to hand. I have an ongoing issue with O Pato attacking my feet from behind and he to is dropped int he wading pool -- he ates water.

@Naiva80512 best to manage the bullying be separating the two drakes at night. I use dog crates in my duck house to separate my ducks at nights. But any other way of partitioning their sleeping space would likely work. I find the main bullying goes on at night in the confines of the coop. During the day mine free range and there is enough space and shrubbery for the warring parties to lose each other. However, if you have a small run for your ducks, you might have to partition the run too, to stop the bullying. Mine have always had the pecking order bullying for 3 or 4 months in the spring with a shorter recurrence later in the summer.
Thx a lot for your comment..At first I thought keeping drakes is easy(since they don't lay eggs) but it's hard LoL...My drakes are my pet tbh and they live in my house with me..I build them a house in my garage and I let them swim everyday..I guess now I should separate them and I have no idea how I'm going to do that(how should I build another house)but I'm gonna try my best 😀😉

you don’t have to build another house just put some kind of thing like a wall or some boards or some kind of piece of fencing, anything you can use to make a divider in the existing house

you don’t have to build another house just put some kind of thing like a wall or some boards or some kind of piece of fencing, anything you can use to make a divider in the existing house
You are right....Thx..I have some bricks..I'm going to use them to build a wall and divide their house in two sections

Your duck hates water? 🤣

You want them to be able to see each other so they won’t get lonely and depressed but not where Mr bully can hurt the other one. @thumper650 had an all drake flock and he builds fencing so his drakes had their own spaces but were still able to see each other.

My Muscovy drake has already started biting me and here we’re are not even in mating season yet.

Last edited:
You want them to be able to see each other so they won’t get lonely and depressed but not where Mr bully can hurt the other one. @thumper650 had an all drake flock and he builds fencing so his drakes had their own spaces but we’re still able to see each other.

My Muscovy drake has already started biting me and here we’re are not even in mating season yet.
Thx...I separated them and they can still see each other..Mr bully is just out of his mind LoL 😆😅😭😆 yeah here in my country winter already started and I don't know why my Pekin is acting crazy when it's not spring or summer

Back
Top Bottom