Female duck standing on male duck

dido123

In the Brooder
Dec 2, 2023
Hello.

I have ducks, one male (pekin) and one female (half pekin, half some other breed with "hair"), both around 8 months old.
Today I noticed that the female duck first started touching the male duck with her beak, like she was cleaning him, but then he sat down and she climbed up on him.
I tried googling it, but I can only find instances of male ducks climbing up on female ducks when breeding, but obviously that is not the case here. Some article mentioned that it's a way ducks show dominance, which makes more sense as the male duck is a lot calmer and quieter compared to the female duck.

I'm really confused on what is going on so any help would be appreciated.

Hello.

I have ducks, one male (pekin) and one female (half pekin, half some other breed with "hair"), both around 8 months old.
Today I noticed that the female duck first started touching the male duck with her beak, like she was cleaning him, but then he sat down and she climbed up on him.
I tried googling it, but I can only find instances of male ducks climbing up on female ducks when breeding, but obviously that is not the case here. Some article mentioned that it's a way ducks show dominance, which makes more sense as the male duck is a lot calmer and quieter compared to the female duck.

I'm really confused on what is going on so any help would be appreciated.
Wow, I never heard of a duck breed with some kind of hair. I’ll have to look that up. Do you have any pictures?
As for showing dominance, yes that’s some thing they do. They also play around and females pretend to mate other females - it happens here every day, ducks are crazy birds

Wow, I never heard of a duck breed with some kind of hair. I’ll have to look that up. Do you have any pictures?
As for showing dominance, yes that’s some thing they do. They also play around and females pretend to mate other females - it happens here every day, ducks are crazy birds
No idea if I phrased it right (English isn't my first language), but I'm talking about the little bit of what I call hair on top of her head. Here's a photo from the "incident" i described above where you can see both of them.

Attachments

• 20231202_122111.jpg
    20231202_122111.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 68
No idea if I phrased it right (English isn't my first language), but I'm talking about the little bit of what I call hair on top of her head. Here's a photo from the "incident" i described above where you can see both of them.
I have no idea why they are doing that, but he looks like a cozy place to lay down. Sometimes I sit on my husband's lap because he is comfy and warm. Maybe your duck is doing this for the same reason. 😄

Shes horny he isn't. lol My girls chase and head bob their drake and I bet if he laid down they might climb on. Girls a nutty. Please be careful when he does decide to climb onto her becasue she is creasted and he will grab hold of that crest to stay on top of her which may cause problems if he starts yanking out feathers. Under the crest is just fatty tissue and no skull.

Shes horny he isn't. lol My girls chase and head bob their drake and I bet if he laid down they might climb on. Girls a nutty. Please be careful when he does decide to climb onto her becasue she is creasted and he will grab hold of that crest to stay on top of her which may cause problems if he starts yanking out feathers. Under the crest is just fatty tissue and no skull.
Alright, thanks for the explanation and the advice!

Back
Top Bottom