PEKIN DUCK and POT BELLIED PIG

rmcbroom1365

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 29, 2013
I recently "inherited' a pot bellied pig and a Pekin duck. They are both a little over a year old. I know nothing about ducks! From what I can gather researching the topic, the duck imprinted on the pig. She follows the pig EVERYWHERE and even her quacking sounds like an oink sometimes. The pig usually ignores the duck, but the duck is attached to the pig's side 24/7. They both stay outside...our yard is almost 2 acres and is fenced in with hog wire. They have a "house" they sleep together in.

We very sadly cannot keep the pig for various reasons, but we found it a good, loving home at a nearby farm. We HATE to separate the duck and pig, but the place where the pig is going will not be safe for the duck. The fencing and barn are not enclosed in a "duck friendly" fence, and we are afraid predators would most likely get the duck. We will gladly keep her, but I'm so sad to take her pig away from her. I hope the pig will be OK without her too, but like I said, the pig doesn't seem as attached to the duck.

I guess I'm just wondering what I can do to make the transition better for the duck. We have her a cozy little shelter with hay and a kiddie pool (I put fresh water in every day for her). Not to mention, she has the 2 fenced acres to roam safely on all day. I also have 3 small house dogs who she shows interest in, and they are friendly to her. But they stay in the house at night, so she will be outside all alone by herself. It just makes me sad to separate her from the pig.

I'm just wondering if she will be OK and adjust to not having the pig around and if there is anything I can do to help her along besides taking good care of her and making her physically as comfortable as possible. I hope I'm just being silly and that she will adjust quickly? Also, she will come close to me but not let me touch her. My husband was able to pick her up once and pet her once. What can I do to make her more trusting of me?

Thank you for any help you can give me on this matter! I can't believe how much it is bothering me to separate her from her pig. :(

I recently "inherited' a pot bellied pig and a Pekin duck. They are both a little over a year old. I know nothing about ducks! From what I can gather researching the topic, the duck imprinted on the pig. She follows the pig EVERYWHERE and even her quacking sounds like an oink sometimes. The pig usually ignores the duck, but the duck is attached to the pig's side 24/7. They both stay outside...our yard is almost 2 acres and is fenced in with hog wire. They have a "house" they sleep together in.

We very sadly cannot keep the pig for various reasons, but we found it a good, loving home at a nearby farm. We HATE to separate the duck and pig, but the place where the pig is going will not be safe for the duck. The fencing and barn are not enclosed in a "duck friendly" fence, and we are afraid predators would most likely get the duck. We will gladly keep her, but I'm so sad to take her pig away from her. I hope the pig will be OK without her too, but like I said, the pig doesn't seem as attached to the duck.

I guess I'm just wondering what I can do to make the transition better for the duck. We have her a cozy little shelter with hay and a kiddie pool (I put fresh water in every day for her). Not to mention, she has the 2 fenced acres to roam safely on all day. I also have 3 small house dogs who she shows interest in, and they are friendly to her. But they stay in the house at night, so she will be outside all alone by herself. It just makes me sad to separate her from the pig.

I'm just wondering if she will be OK and adjust to not having the pig around and if there is anything I can do to help her along besides taking good care of her and making her physically as comfortable as possible. I hope I'm just being silly and that she will adjust quickly? Also, she will come close to me but not let me touch her. My husband was able to pick her up once and pet her once. What can I do to make her more trusting of me?

Thank you for any help you can give me on this matter! I can't believe how much it is bothering me to separate her from her pig. :(
welcome-byc.gif
and I think it is very sweet that you are concerned, sounds like the duck has imprinted on the pig and it will be very hard for her once it's gone. Is there anyway you can get another duck so she has one of her own kind to hang out with? Do you know if your duck is a duck or a drake? and as for her trusting you more, we're all in agreement that a way to a ducks heart is through their tummies so lots of love and good healthy treats will make her grow fond of you and especially after the pig is gone she'll need lots of attention till hopefully you can find her a friend. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/256233/ducks-sticky-topics-index Lots of info on duck care and also a link on healthy treats too. good luck and let us know how she does.

Last edited:
Thank you! I'm pretty sure it's a male (even though I was calling it a she0 because it has curled feathers on its tail an dit has never laid any eggs?
So...you think a baby duck would be good for it? Would another male do OK? The reason I ask is I don't really want babies! :)

i hate to hear that it is going to have a rough time adjusting. The person taking the pig might be able to fix up a pen where they both could stay but I don't even know how to catch the duck to get it to the farm.

Well if the duck can go with the pig then you shouldn't have to catch it because wouldn't the duck follow the pig anyway? If you have a male then why not get a pair of females... Maybe it could cheer him up a bit to have some friends. Don't get another boy though because they often fight with each other and the superior may drown the inferior in the water.

Good to know.... I won't get another male. If I get a few females, how do I prevent ducklings? Just bear with me and my ignorance please...I'm new to ducks!

The duck would follow the pig into the trailer, most definitely, but we had to lure the pig into the trailer and VERY quickly shut the door before he could get out. The duck didn't have time to go in. It has been a week long ordeal getting the pig into the trailer and there was no way or time to let the duck in once we finally got the pig inside. Plus I was afraid if the pig got upset it might hurt the duck in the confined space. :( Not to mention, at the time, we weren't planning on sending the duck due to the pig's new home not having proper fencing. But now the new pig owners are saying they can fix the pen to be duck friendly if we want to bring him. We just have to catch him first.

Good to know.... I won't get another male. If I get a few females, how do I prevent ducklings? Just bear with me and my ignorance please...I'm new to ducks!

The duck would follow the pig into the trailer, most definitely, but we had to lure the pig into the trailer and VERY quickly shut the door before he could get out. The duck didn't have time to go in. It has been a week long ordeal getting the pig into the trailer and there was no way or time to let the duck in once we finally got the pig inside. Plus I was afraid if the pig got upset it might hurt the duck in the confined space. :( Not to mention, at the time, we weren't planning on sending the duck due to the pig's new home not having proper fencing. But now the new pig owners are saying they can fix the pen to be duck friendly if we want to bring him. We just have to catch him first.
Best way to keep from having ducklings is to take the eggs away daily, they make wonderful baked goods. and a lot of folks like to eat them scrambled etc.

I think it would be good if you got a couple of female ducks to be with him as AmberRex said. As for not having ducklings don't let the eggs sit around, collect them refrigerate them. I use mine in baking and eating. I like them better then chicken eggs.

Back
Top Bottom