Pekin duck balancing on his wings and shaking

gundy1969

In the Brooder
Dec 3, 2022
Hello duck folks. One of my Pekins started acting oddly this morning and I hope y'all can help me figure it out. I noticed him holding a wing out and just kind of staring off into space and then looked like he was slowly leaning in the direction of the wing. Then went and settled down for a nap. Later I saw him holding both wings out and then using them to hold himself up (that's what it looked like anyway) and shaking. When I approached the first time, he waddled away, albeit slowly, quaking at me - which is what I expected. Later I went to check on him and he let me approach and then settled down and let me pet him which is not normal at all. He seems lethargic and generally not ok but I don't have any other symptoms to report. Could it be a niacin deficiency? He's already got a little but if a clubfoot from when he was a duckling and we fed him niacin to help with it.

Thanks for your help.
-g

Attachments

• 20221203_162818.jpg
    20221203_162818.jpg
    642.1 KB · Views: 51
:welcome sorry for the circumstances. It may be a vitamin deficiency or he may have somehow suffered neurological injury. I would provide multivitamin supplements making sure that Niacin was included.
Thanks. That was my best guess too. I'm going to try to get him to eat some oats and peas (his favorite) with a good dose of niacin added and hope he acts more like his usual cantankerous, mistrusting self again.

Thanks. That was my best guess too. I'm going to try to get him to eat some oats and peas (his favorite) with a good dose of niacin added and hope he acts more like his usual cantankerous, mistrusting self again.
I think the duck needs more niacin than in multivitamin -- high level Vit B complex (Durvet) 1ml orally per day until walking normally

Last edited:
I agree with @ruthhope
I would also add nutritional yeast 1tbs to 1cup feed
Perkins often struggle with niacin issues
I feed my newborns to 10-12 weeks with nutritional yeast then after that I add it over the feed a few times a week not measuring. Now that it’s winter and they are not able to forge I’m back to adding it daily just to give them a little extra

Back
Top Bottom