Pekin duck can't walk!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by harvestmoonGal, Oct 16, 2013.

1. harvestmoonGal

harvestmoonGal Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2013
    She's is in the process of molting right now. I give them plenty of fresh water and food. Last night we had rain constantly it dropped into the high 50's. this morning at eight I came out and she was walking fine. Now she can't stand or walk! I messed with her foot and she doesn't seem to be in pain. She'll try to get up and if goes backwards.[​IMG]

I put her in a cage with fresh water and hay. She's out of the rain. When I feed them they get scratch, laying pellets, oyster shell and I have started letting them free range some days. If some one could please help me!!! I don't want her to die!!!

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    When was the last time she laid an egg? she may have an egg stuck and it's pressing on a nerve in her back, I'd put her into a warm tub of water and let her float for a while sometimes warm water will relax them enough that they can pass the egg. Of course this is just a guess I'm not a vet. Is she eating and drinking okay? panting? which could mean pain.

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    If you can get a vet to help, please do.

In any case, lukewarm bath deep enough to float in, watch her closely. Did you say the leg goes backward? Like, a break? Or she holds it stretched out behind her?

If she is molting it is not likely she would lay, but not impossible, I think.

Please tell us more if you can.

4. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I read right over the molting part, so maybe not an egg. Vet would be a good idea if you can.

5. harvestmoonGal

May 10, 2013
    I don't have the money for a vet unfortunately. She had been stretching it and when I touch it she shows no pain. She had been eating and drinking fine, and there's no external damage to her foot. She hasn't laid to day. So I should try the bath?

6. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Definitely the bath. Give her as much time as you can in the lukewarm bath. You might try a little ointment in the vent. Be very careful. But something to ease the passage if it's an egg.

7. harvestmoonGal

May 10, 2013
    Okay I will try it thank you all very much!

8. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I need to turn in - I will check in in the morning if I can.

9. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Any update?

10. harvestmoonGal

May 10, 2013
    I put her in the bath last night. She seemed fine. Walking around and swimming, but when I drained the water her leg gave out this time it's the other leg! I put her back in her cage.
    This morning I have her some laying pellets, i am about to put her in the bath again.

They always lay early in the morning so I don't think she's going to lay to day :(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by