Pekin duck can't walk!

Are you giving her niacin supplements? 100 mg per gallon of water, not no-flush or timed release, just a capsule emptied into the water at that concentration. It is a long shot, but worth a try, I feel. Also I would start some Epsom salt compresses on both legs. Don't let her drink it, it's a laxative. I put Epsom salt in water, soak a clean rag, and wrap the legs. Some others put the solution in a short bucket and stand the duck in the bucket. But no drinking!

Are you giving her niacin supplements? 100 mg per gallon of water, not no-flush or timed release, just a capsule emptied into the water at that concentration. It is a long shot, but worth a try, I feel. Also I would start some Epsom salt compresses on both legs. Don't let her drink it, it's a laxative. I put Epsom salt in water, soak a clean rag, and wrap the legs. Some others put the solution in a short bucket and stand the duck in the bucket. But no drinking!
X2 was just getting ready to say the same thing.

I don't have any money right now so I can't go buy medication for her. :(. But I do have Epsom salt.

I'm letting her swim in the bath right now. She oh hardly moving her legs! She keeps bumping the sides, I feel bad for her.

See if you might have a friend or neighbor with some niacin supplements. And, there are a number of foods that are higher in niacin, such as sardines (in water, no extra salt)

Here is something I posted the other day

from http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=nutrient&dbid=83
World's Healthiest Foods rich in vitamin B3​
Listed are the Food, Calories and Percent Daily Value for humans of the nutrient.​

Chicken
77.7%​

Tuna,
67.7%​

Turkey,
42.5%​

Halibut,
40.4%​

Lamb,
38.7%​

Beef, grass-fed,
38%​

Salmon,
37.8%​

Spelt,
24.9%​

Sardines,
23.8%​

Niacin is also in insects and worms.​

I don't have any money right now so I can't go buy medication for her.
sad.png
. But I do have Epsom salt.

I'm letting her swim in the bath right now. She oh hardly moving her legs! She keeps bumping the sides, I feel bad for her.
Niacin can be bought generic and is pretty cheap actually but I understand, Letting her soak is a good thing just don't let her drink any water with ES in it. Do you have any frozen green peas? on the goose thread it was said they have adequate amts of niacin also brewers yeast contains niacin if you happen to have some. But keep her floating in warm water as often as you can in case of an egg. Okay she is Pekin is she Jumbo Pekin? Pekins can develop leg problems due to their size especially the Jumbo. If you decide to use the ES do you have a plastic dish pan, I have used them for soaking because they can pretty much lay down and once in they can't get to the water because they take up most of the pan. If you soak stay right with her. 1 cup of ES to 1 gallon of water

I got her from tractor supply. She is one of my largest hens. I can try to get some sardines. I will soak her feet, and let get swim in the tub later tonight. Hopefully if its an egg tomorrow she will lay it. She hardly ever opens her feet.

Dark green with bad smell could indicate a health problem. Bad smell can also come from a higher protein diet. Had you started giving her sardines? That could do it. And dark green can come from her eating things like kale, but it could also indicate her system is stressed.

She could have an infection. If that is the case, think about oral antibiotics. I just bought some Duramycin 10 for about $7. That's enough to treat the whole flock and them some, I think. It's about 8 ounces of powder.

Anyway, I am not a vet, but there is information in the archives here about what people have used with their ducks.

Do what you can to boost her immune system in any case - like poultry vitamins, probiotics, electrolytes.

I want to share with you that my ducks Neun and Shelly, at different times, had egg yolk peritonitis. I was told there is not much you can do, although I feel if I had known soon enough that oral antibiotics may have helped. I don't want to upset you, but I lost both of them. I would not give up on her, ducks can recover from many serious ailments. But keep looking into options for her.

My mom is talking to some vets right now and I think we are going to take her tomorrow. I gave her so salmon after she pooped that dark green.( my wal-Mart didn't have any sardines with no salt added.) and she's in the bath again. When I got her rhis morning to put in the bath she pooped everywheres! Her cage is filthy now, but its healthy poop(I think) it's brown and solid, with some liquid.

Back
Top Bottom