Pekin Duck Club!

Are anyone else's ducks little mud bombs right now? :lol: The weather here in Ohio has been mild the last week or so and we've had a LOT of rain. There outside run is a giant mud pit and they LOVE it! I'm fighting a losing battle trying to keep them clean.

Are anyone else's ducks little mud bombs right now?
lol.png
The weather here in Ohio has been mild the last week or so and we've had a LOT of rain. There outside run is a giant mud pit and they LOVE it! I'm fighting a losing battle trying to keep them clean.
Yep mud puppies all of them. lol

He did have drainage (drooling) from nose and mouth and the gasping was very slow and maybe a slight gurgle. He was the boss of the lake(been there 8yrs or so)maybe,..I made him a bowl of cracked corn and seed watered down cuz he likes it that way,..and I would stay to make sure he and shorty got it all and then I would put a bowl with some bread (their junk food) in his little shelter I made for him. Mama like being exclusive but would share with Shorty. I did not notice him being sick at all,..he would walk (run) to me from whatever angle I came from. He saw Everything at their little lake. The public sometimes feeds them too. They hang with a group of Mallards but if she got a bacterial infection then I am worried about Shorty, they are inseparable ,..There has been a lot of Canadian geese flying in and out. I looked for signs of trauma, lumps,..etc.. and there was none. (Used to be a Paramedic),..wish I could have intubated her airway and got some antibiotics but it was too late. He was fine the night before,..it happened so fast that I am devastated and heartbroken,....

The Crazy Gang are mucky ducks, they found a patch of mud and had some fun with it. The temps here have been up a bit so we provided them with some extra water and they [somewhat] bathed. They do look a little better by oi vey ! they are some vocal mucky duckies

No drainage, his eyes look sleepy, but clear and alert when we get near him. He's the only drake, and only have one female duck, they share a large covered pen with a very friendly rooster and 5 hens (all raised together from the start) they have their own pool and totes made into "duck houses", although they don't use them really. They eat dumor layer pellets. They also have a bucket rigged with poultry nipple so there's always clean drinking water.
I brought him in, wrapped him in a towel. I gave him some ACV water and he's now drinking that, he's eating well and has perked up quite a bit, neigh or is bringing me the vitamins in the AM.

I have heard that ducks can't use the nipple type waterers. Could this be part of the problem?
Mandy

He did have drainage (drooling) from nose and mouth and the gasping was very slow and maybe a slight gurgle. He was the boss of the lake(been there 8yrs or so)maybe,..I made him a bowl of cracked corn and seed watered down cuz he likes it that way,..and I would stay to make sure he and shorty got it all and then I would put a bowl with some bread (their junk food) in his little shelter I made for him. Mama like being exclusive but would share with Shorty. I did not notice him being sick at all,..he would walk (run) to me from whatever angle I came from. He saw Everything at their little lake. The public sometimes feeds them too. They hang with a group of Mallards but if she got a bacterial infection then I am worried about Shorty, they are inseparable ,..There has been a lot of Canadian geese flying in and out. I looked for signs of trauma, lumps,..etc.. and there was none. (Used to be a Paramedic),..wish I could have intubated her airway and got some antibiotics but it was too late. He was fine the night before,..it happened so fast that I am devastated and heartbroken,....
Since Shorty is the only domestic duck and now has no body guard I would try my best to find him a safe home away from the pond there. He will be so vulnerable to preds and people and disease. Bless your heart and his it's a huge loss for you both.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom