Pekin Duck Club!

This is my Pekin, Daisy Mae. She pretty much runs our house and is spoiled rotten. We received her when she was 3 days old and will be 15 weeks on Wednesday. Never in a million years would I have thought I would be raising a precious little baby like her.

I am so very disappointed... Today I checked all my eggs 32 to be exact and come to find out not one was alive... My male pekin apparently isnt able to get on top because of his angel wing but thats all right i have hope for the future and hopefully something good will come from this experience but now I have to break the bad news to my 6 and 5 year old kids they are going to be very upset.. Thank you for the advice and thanks for the support.

Mine did that, too. Her system is getting used to laying. The larger ones are twins. It'll go on for the first month or so. The others are probably too small for ducklings to even hatch out of, as my Peking's eggs were. She has a nest of 12 right now that she hasn't began sitting on <sigh> and there are a couple twins in there. She has been laying for a month, now. All different sizes. I had incubated the first ten with no luck. Candled them after a week and saw nothing developing, cracked 'em open and sure enough, just regular old eggs. Started eating them for a week until I started letting them stay outside at night when I got back to my property from my bf's home and there was no longer a raccoon threat, so she made this nest of hers. I think I might mark the existing eggs and start collecting the new ones and start incubating them. I need to give them big, fresh bowls of water more often to stimulate them to mate. When they get their water refilled thy do their courting dance and then the male attempts his deed, oftentimes getting blown off by the female, though. But I will see what I can do and hopefully get some fertilized eggs
fl.gif

He's a mean little beakie! Lol, just nature I guess! My male started off with this type of behavior, which was, and still is, exclusive to having him in a bin inside the house. If I have to keep the ducks in the house for whatever reason overnight he will exhibit this behavior, however, out in the yard, he is much, much worse, and I don't know if yours will ever exhibit the behaviors I have experienced from my male. I think mine may be worse than yours since he has a female who he feels he is "protecting." Either way, it's his testosterone, I would imagine, and the way he is programmed to be. Mine chases me across the yard, flapping his wings to gain speed, while biting my feet. When he gets hold of a toe the pain it the WORST. He has drawn blood on a couple occasions. I wear flip-flops out in the yard, this being summer in Virginia. When I go to fill his water or feed him he shows more interest in attacking my feet and chasing me than in eating or drinking. He saw the kitchen door was propped open the other day and followed me in, attacked me, and, after I picked him up and placed him far outside into the yard with his female, he proceeded to chase me back in and attack me after repeating the whole process... two more times! It's getting to the point where I am actually afraid to be seen outside by him because he'll come allllll the waaaay from across the yard to attack me while I'm minding my own business doing yardwork and he'll GET me unexpectedly!
hide.gif
I have to literally "shoe" him with my foot, pick him up and lightly toss him away sometimes (which I am more cautious about lately since realizing I could hurt him,) throw him into the pool or pond, shove him away, you name it! He chases the dog and attacks him constantly and just yesterday approached him from behind and bit his rear! It was SOOOOO FUNNNNYYYYY!!!!
lau.gif
His name is "Raptor," and he is not a nice beakie. I don't know to what extent your duckie will carry on with his behavior, but I can assure you that, after reading other posts about these ducks, other ducks, and roosters exhibiting the same type of behavior toward their owners, and after being nice to my Raptor and doing "nice" things to try to handle the situation with no results, this is all perfectly normal for this animal and this behavior is programmed right into that little bird-brain of his to be the way he is. Lol and if we wanted something to cuddle or schnuggle with or to let near our faces without that hunch that perhaps we should don a pair of safety goggles, we should have chosen a different pet.. less feathery and more furry, perhaps. But I must say, that for what the Raptor and his Billie-Beak girlie are, they bring me much joy, survive on a couple cups of Purina dog food a day which they readily and happily supplement with lots and lots of bugs
droolin.gif
and they don't crap in my house.

Hey everyone. So my duck is almost 4 months old. I take very good care of him, with him everyday, give him treats, ect. Since he was a baby I spent a good amount of time with him. When I'm not home he spends time with my mom and brother (this is only for a few hours I'm gone). Lately, everytime I touch him or anything he shakes kind of vibrates and bites my arm so hard! He actually broke the skin 3 times, bruised, and popped a little vessel in my arm. I have no idea why he's doing this or how to correct it. He doesn't bite any other family hard like that except for me! Any suggestions or help??

My girl just started to lay I got a total of 7 eggs everyday now yesterday and today nothing is that normal? Two eggs was huge and the rest have been average size do they not lay every day? I hope a snake didn't get them or something else I check early in the morning and all day.

Luluann one of mine is limping too looked at her don't see anything
hmm.png
seems like she gets better then not
sad.png

Mine did that, too. Her system is getting used to laying. The larger ones are twins. It'll go on for the first month or so. The others are probably too small for ducklings to even hatch out of, as my Peking's eggs were. She has a nest of 12 right now that she hasn't began sitting on <sigh> and there are a couple twins in there. She has been laying for a month, now. All different sizes. I had incubated the first ten with no luck. Candled them after a week and saw nothing developing, cracked 'em open and sure enough, just regular old eggs. Started eating them for a week until I started letting them stay outside at night when I got back to my property from my bf's home and there was no longer a raccoon threat, so she made this nest of hers. I think I might mark the existing eggs and start collecting the new ones and start incubating them. I need to give them big, fresh bowls of water more often to stimulate them to mate. When they get their water refilled thy do their courting dance and then the male attempts his deed, oftentimes getting blown off by the female, though. But I will see what I can do and hopefully get some fertilized eggs
fl.gif

doing yardwork and he'll GET me unexpectedly!
hide.gif
I have to literally "shoe" him with my foot, pick him up and lightly toss him away sometimes (which I am more cautious about lately since realizing I could hurt him,) throw him into the pool or pond, shove him away, you name it! He chases the dog and attacks him constantly and just yesterday approached him from behind and bit his rear! It was SOOOOO

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Surely not ...... just say No Go :? not sure
funny chases dog, I can see that
my dog leaves our
[/FONT]Pekin visitor alone. No wonder why my dog does not mess with our duck. lol

doing yardwork and he'll GET me unexpectedly!
hide.gif
I have to literally "shoe" him with my foot, pick him up and lightly toss him away sometimes (which I am more cautious about lately since realizing I could hurt him,) throw him into the pool or pond, shove him away, you name it! He chases the dog and attacks him constantly and just yesterday approached him from behind and bit his rear! It was SOOOOO

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Surely not ...... just say No Go :? not sure
funny chases dog, I can see that
my dog leaves our
[/FONT]Pekin visitor alone. No wonder why my dog does not mess with our duck. lol
Hahaha well the dog messes with the duck and he "has it coming," so to speak. It is funny :)

Back
Top Bottom