Pekin Duck Club!

I have 5 three week old ducklings right now. 3 Pekins and 2 Pekin/Runner mixes. I noticed that they are doing something like a sneeze, especially when they eat. I did notice that one of them was doing it right when it came out of the egg, but now it seems that all of them are doing it. What could this be? Is it something I need to be worried about?
Also one of the Pekin/Runners' foot looks like its peeling. There's no blisters or anything like bumblefoot, just skin peeling. Their area is cleaned every day and they go in and outside, in the pool and out, when they feel needed. I took (attempted lol) a picture of the feet, its kinda hard to see though.

the first pic, you can kinda see the skin at the top coming off. The second you can see more on the right foot.

I have 5 three week old ducklings right now. 3 Pekins and 2 Pekin/Runner mixes. I noticed that they are doing something like a sneeze, especially when they eat. I did notice that one of them was doing it right when it came out of the egg, but now it seems that all of them are doing it. What could this be? Is it something I need to be worried about?
Also one of the Pekin/Runners' foot looks like its peeling. There's no blisters or anything like bumblefoot, just skin peeling. Their area is cleaned every day and they go in and outside, in the pool and out, when they feel needed. I took (attempted lol) a picture of the feet, its kinda hard to see though.

the first pic, you can kinda see the skin at the top coming off. The second you can see more on the right foot.
As long as you don't notice any discharge and they are not acting lethargic they are fine. Ours did it as well, one still does. You could add some moisture to their food. Sometimes they get too eager when they eat and don't drink as often as they might should. Just make sure they have a supply of water that is deep enough to rinse their eyes and nostrils. As for the feet peeling, it is perfectly normal. As their little feet grow they shed skin just like everything else with skin. You can rub a small amount of vaseline in if you want, just use a small small amount and rub it in completely.

Does anyone know how to make a duck diaper?
I've never made my own but here's a great place to get one...
http://chickensaddlesanddiapers.webs.com/

Hey everyone. So my duck is almost 4 months old. I take very good care of him, with him everyday, give him treats, ect. Since he was a baby I spent a good amount of time with him. When I'm not home he spends time with my mom and brother (this is only for a few hours I'm gone). Lately, everytime I touch him or anything he shakes kind of vibrates and bites my arm so hard! He actually broke the skin 3 times, bruised, and popped a little vessel in my arm. I have no idea why he's doing this or how to correct it. He doesn't bite any other family hard like that except for me! Any suggestions or help??
It's pretty normal for a male reaching that age. They can be aggressive and protective. There are a couple things you can try... one is to turn him over, lay him on his back and hold him there for a little bit. It is a sign to him that you are the "alpha" duck. Other people also "tap" the duck on the beak or back with your finger or a small stick - just enough to annoy him, not really hurt - kind of like a "duck spanking" - lol.

Omg omg omg first duck egg! Yay!!! Idk which of my girls laid it but * happy dance* They are 19 weeks today!!
Yay! Congrats!!! I had to wait about 24 weeks for mine!!

I have 8 pekins....please add me! We just got our first eggs on Friday, how can you tell who is laying
Another alternative to the food coloring is to just feel their pubic bone. Turn the duck over and with your fingers find the 2 sides of the pubic bone, down closer to their tail end of their body. Just feel around until you feel those hard bones. If you can only fit 1-2 fingers between the protruding bones, they are not laying. If you can fit 4 fingers, they are laying. This is really easy to do! It's how we found out who laid our first egg - only 1 of our 3 girls had the big gap and all the others hadn't spread out yet.
This is my Pekin, Daisy Mae. She pretty much runs our house and is spoiled rotten. We received her when she was 3 days old and will be 15 weeks on Wednesday. Never in a million years would I have thought I would be raising a precious little baby like her.
Awww... so sweet!

I am so very disappointed... Today I checked all my eggs 32 to be exact and come to find out not one was alive... My male pekin apparently isnt able to get on top because of his angel wing but thats all right i have hope for the future and hopefully something good will come from this experience but now I have to break the bad news to my 6 and 5 year old kids they are going to be very upset.. Thank you for the advice and thanks for the support.
I would give it some more time and see... our drake has nothing wrong with him and when we tried to hatch eggs, we turned up with like 1 in 20 of them being fertile. Then, as time went on, we noticed that more and more of the duck eggs we were cracking open to eat were fertile. It took him almost a year to get good at mounting the girls and actually fertilizing the eggs well.

As long as you don't notice any discharge and they are not acting lethargic they are fine. Ours did it as well, one still does. You could add some moisture to their food. Sometimes they get too eager when they eat and don't drink as often as they might should. Just make sure they have a supply of water that is deep enough to rinse their eyes and nostrils. As for the feet peeling, it is perfectly normal. As their little feet grow they shed skin just like everything else with skin. You can rub a small amount of vaseline in if you want, just use a small small amount and rub it in completely.
X2 - mine all did the same thing as well - I still keep their feed sloppy instead of dry. They love it that way!

I have 7 eggs total now...if got 2 friday and one a day since....do you think i have more tha one hen laying...i actually seen my 23 week old pekin lay an egg this morning , i have to more her age and 2 indian runners that are 27 weeks, could they all be laying and i'm getting lucky with an egg a day 3 of the eggs have been small and the other four have been fairly large.....thanks in advance for any help

Yeah, when they eat they can't get to their food fast enough, you'd think I was starving them lol. They eat so fast. I'll try adding water to see if that helps. Thanks!

Yeah, when they eat they can't get to their food fast enough, you'd think I was starving them lol. They eat so fast. I'll try adding water to see if that helps. Thanks!
I don't think they ever outgrow that. 6 of ours are over a year old and they still do it.
big_smile.png

well, here's my problem. When I ordered my ducks from backyard chickens, I specifically requested, two females and one male. now, that they are about 9 weeks old, I see that two of them are much much bigger then the third.this leads me to believe that what I received was two males and 1 female.now that they are my pets and I love them, and as I have no room for a new duck. I was just wondering what kind of problems can I look forward to now that I have to drakes and one hen.

Back
Top Bottom