Pekin Duck Club!

Ok, so does anyone else pet & cuddle with their Pekin at bedtime. I currently have 10.

Six of them I raised since day old babies. Four of my original babies let me pet them tonight. Some have gotten downright snuggly at bedtime.

I'm not sure mine like to be cuddled but they know that if they let me get my cuddling over with they get a bit of cat treat in their heated water bucket. It's more of a "come on Mom, be done" but it works for me. lol

Younger... you are too funny.

I tried to handle them an adequate amount of time as ducklings, but they never seemed to like it a lot.

When they were *teenagers* around 8-12 weeks old, they wanted no part of being picked up. Then, gradually, after hand feeding them treats for weeks, they would struggle when first picked up but a few seemed to like a bit.

Then, two ducks in particular were more social & begged for attention more & liked to be pet at bedtime. Five wanted to be pet last night. Some keep walking up to me in their coop & *beg* to be pet. Only a few let me touch them at all during the day. Some don't mind a pat on the neck or back. They mostly seem to like to be pet on their chest, back or the side of the neck.

They seem skittish by nature

Only 5 of 10 want to be pet. I raised them since they were babies. The ones that I adopted as adult ducks & one I raised from a baby run around trying NOT to get pet. It has been a slow process. At first, only one wanted to be pet. Then, her sidekick started begging to be pet. Now about 4-5 want to be pet each night, some more than others. I think hand feeding them treats over time really helped. It got them used to human contact. They seem to all enjoy the area on their back just beneath their neck pet. The *triangle* at the top of their back between their wings.

Last edited:
I offer mine their treat from my hand first. That's how they get it so they really have no choice. While they are nibbling it I pet them gently on their chest. Then I give them the rest of their treats in their pan. They got used to that and now expect it if not enjoy it. LOL I started with peas. My are little pea addicts. They will do just about anything for green peas.

Hey!
I've recently decided to get some ducks and I'm going to get a mix of Mallard ducks and Pekin ducks!
(I've heard they get along!) I only wanted 4 ducks (2 mallard and 2 Pekin) but I'm not sure if I need more! I don't want heaps of ducks because (as you know) they are friendly and gain relationships with people and I think that if you have heaps of ducks they don't become as close to us but become close to each other! -Is that true? Do I need more than 4 ducks? I also have 3 chickens and I read that they get along with ducks so is it possible to only get 4 ducks and mix them with the chickens so that I don't need to get more ducks?
Do I get 1 male Pekin/Mallard duck and 3 female ducks? Do I need more females?
Do you know much about Mallard ducks?
Sorry to ask so many questions but I'm new to ducks and it's so great to have people willing to answer my questions!
No pressure! :)
Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom