Pekin Duck Club!

From everything that I have read, the medication that used to be added to starter feeds was dangerous to ducklings, NOT the medication that is commonly added today (amprolium-- as Clint wrote already) ... Metzer's website also states that medicated feed today can be fed without any issues. Read labels, do your homework.

Thank you. Reading the label is what it's all about. Feeds are formulated differently across the country. If it says ducks, then it is ok for ducks. Feed based on the label recommendation for the appropriate age.

My two Pekins are 5 weeks old tomorrow. I too, am wondering when I can let them swim and play in water. I'm here in Michigan. so the weather is still 40's to 50's, so I still have them in the house. How do I know if they are dry enough if I do let them play in water and what temp does it have to be outside for them to stay outside? Still trying to figure out how I can post a pic of them, but my computer skills are less than great!! lol
hu.gif

I let our ducks swim and play in shallow water while I baby sit even at 4 days old. You don't have to get them completely dry but do make sure they have heat while drying. Ours go outside asap because I get tired of the cleaning. They go outside with a heat lamp. I weaned them off the lamp from 24 hr to just nights and then nothing at 8 weeks. I would suggest watch their behavior outside just like you would in a brooder. If they are huddling together, give them heat. They get unsupervised access to swimming water at 8 weeks. They are usually fully feathered by this age and can handle any temp.

This is my Pekin Dr. Phil, keeping a watchful eye on his gal Brownie's nest. This is Brownie going back onto her nest after getting a drink and some corn. Notice Dr. Phil's beautiful drake tail. No wonder Brownie thought he was so handsome. Wonder what she thinks of Dr. Phil's other conquests?

This is Dexter...he is 2 weeks old. I am pretty sure he is a pekin but his beak is not orange. Anybody know what that could mean? Is he a different kind of duck?

CAn't remember if my Pekin's bill changed color or not, but I know my "Blue...." did. It was pink and then it changed grey. His feet changed from pink to yellow.

neither of the girls are egg bound thank god but their vet cant find anything wrong with ally she is the one that is still doing the limping im starting think its because of losing Aflac a few months a go and that is why she is acting this way
henretta is doing fine but still not laying any eggs yet but with the warmer weather coming in that might get her to start again

Back
Top Bottom