Pekin Duck Club!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DenverDucky, Feb 6, 2013.

1. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    jandavis,

I have read that too much corn in the diet does not provide the best nutrition for ducks. Do yours get other food as well?

2. Julez21

Julez21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2014
    You are awesome!! Thank you! When can I keep them permanently outside? I love this site--everyone is so helpful!! [​IMG]

3. farmgirl360

farmgirl360 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2014
    Southern Illinois
    Well were I got my not Peking ducks but ducks four, I got them from rural king and we searched for the right food and everything was medicated and when we ask a guy I they had the feed he said NO u don't feed ducklings chick starter which we all ready knew so they are on meat bird rual kin is the only close feed store close by like I mentioned earlier it is to ones own opion

4. farmgirl360

farmgirl360 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2014
    Southern Illinois
    U can keep them outside when they have feathers but add a heat lamp in case

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life Premium Member

Corn scratch is not a complete feed, on my bag of 7 way scratch it plainly says it should only be 10% of their diet. They may seem fine but I would put them on a complete feed like an all flock crumble.

1 person likes this.
  6. jandavis

jandavis Out Of The Brooder

Mar 29, 2014
    Thank you, Lydia. I'll see if I can find some. Might have to order it.

7. jandavis

Mar 29, 2014
    Amiga,
    Thanks for the advice. No I only give them corn. However I will look into adding other things. I didn't know my ducks needed anything else. As I said they seem to be fine and I've raised four different groups of them. That's what this site is all about, isn't it? Putting all our heads together and coming up with the best ways to take care of and raise our ducklings. Thanks again.

1 person likes this.
  8. cochins1088

cochins1088 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2012
    Southern Minnesota
    I put my pekin duckling outside when she was 4 weeks old. She's now 5 weeks old. The temperatures dropped below freezing a couple of times, but she's more than fine. She's a happy duckling and she enjoys being outside. If she would have appeared cold, then I would have brought her back inside.

However, I slowly weaned her off of the heat lamp. If yours are still used to the heat, you'll probably have to wait a bit longer to make the adjustment easier on them.

You can let them swim from day 1 as long as the water is warm and shallow and you keep a close eye on them. [​IMG]

9. jandavis

Mar 29, 2014
    I just gave them some frozen peas. Boy did they have fun chasing them around and eating them!

10. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life Premium Member

They do love peas, when i put some into the cement mixing tub full of water even the chickens are plucking them out it hilarious watching them all looks like dunking for peas, of course a duck or 2 gets in and then the chickens leave or they get all wet. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by