Pekin Duck Club!

I have raised all mine from day Olds and it is quite difficult to catch them, I would say unless you are really determined to know i wouldn't worry about trying to way s/he. As for the s/he and the quack a female quack is a loud quack, if I go near my 5 females they start quacking an it's almost ear puercing. If you try and catch Aflac and s/he quacks and it doesn't hurt your ears at least a little it's probably a drake, and if he doesn't have a curly tail feather he is probably less than 8 mo. That is when my drake got his anyway.

Sounds like Aflac. Quiet quack, but straight tail feathers...I believe s/he's still fairly young. Guess we get to wait & see. Thanks!

- TieDyeMommy

Ok folks, I was on the "Texas" thread bc I have stupid fire ants & carpenter ants by my duck house & pen :(. They had lots of "home remedies" safe for chickens, but I have ducks. Would those same remedies be safe for ducks too: cornstarch, cinnamon, plant mint/spearmint, dry grits/Cream of Wheat?

Ten gallons of boiling water works better than anything.

Hello everyone. I am a new pekin ducklings owner and I have done a lot of research on my babies before to be prepared, I was wondering if anyone could help me with a timeline on when to switch foods, move to a bigger home and when can I leave them outside to live in my backyard? I would also like some pointers on how to build a nice, comfortable, safe house for them in the back. I need pointers on these things because even though they're a week old they are growing so fast and I want to be ready. Thanks!

I have mine in a 45 gallon feed/water tub from TSC in my room topped w/ chicken wire. I'm finishing their outside house/pen today. I modified the rabbit hutch & pen from TSC & they are on sale right now :)!! I will take pics & post later for scrutiny bc I want to make sure they are safe from predators!

smile.png
! I was pleasantly surprised in how affectionate ducks can be & how vocal. I'm still trying to learn their ducky language, lol! I use unmedicated chick feed, chick grit (only for the last week), & I mix electrolytes & probiotics in their water. Be careful of pine chips bc some duckies will eat them. I don't know if any of this is helpful, but I hope so
smile.png
yipes! what will happen if they eat it?????
barnie.gif

I was going to start working on my duck run/habitat for my pekins today. But really want to make sure it super cozy and safe for them. I love the idea of adding in plants (evergreens and shrubs) but having trouble finding out which ones are safe for inside their area. Do any of you happen to know a few that would be safe for them to be around?

Tips anyone??? I have 2 pekin ducklings about 2-3 weeks old, they just got put outside couple days ago. I have their food inside their house and their water right outside of the house. However they won't go up their ramp. It's small, not high at all, so I've been having to put them inside a couple times a day to eat plus I put them in at night. How can I get them to use the ramp??? Should I quit putting them in to eat, just nervous if I do that they won't eat at all lol! I've tried peas on ramp doesn't work however they do love peas just not enough to get them off the ramp! Thanks

Back
Top Bottom