Pekin Duck Club!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DenverDucky, Feb 6, 2013.

1. Cassie Collins

Cassie Collins Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2014
    Texas
    Do they have s heat lamp? Try meal worms :),

2. waynec1955

waynec1955 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2013
    Munford, Alabama
    My ducks only go in their house to lay. They prefer being outside, even when there was snow on the ground.

1 person likes this.
  3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    One idea that works for me is to plant just outside the pen, and let the plant grow into the pen. That way they can nibble leaves but not kill the plant. Kiwi vine is said to be safe for them and we have had no problem with it. Grape vine is good. Comfrey is nice. I also plant shallow pots with lettuce and just hand the pot over to them in the pen from time to time. Laissez les bon temps roulez!!!!

4. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Well, I hope that the night temperatures are around 75˚F or they have a heater. And at that age, they need to have food with water 24/7. Ramps are tough for ducks, often. Some take to it better than others. What is the slope on the ramp? I have read that 30˚ is the maximum slope for a duck ramp.

Please get them and their food and water all together.

1 person likes this.
  5. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Some ducklings eat shavings. Worst case, it lodges in their digestive tract and they die. Don't mean to be scary, but that happens. And many ducklings do fine on shavings. Mine were shaving eaters.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2014
  6. csling

csling Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2014
    Mansfield, Pa
    Quote:thank you! that helps get me going in the right direction for plants!

7. Julez21

Julez21 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 13, 2014
    I wish I could tell what sex my 2 are...they are 8 weeks old, and look exactly the same!! One of them "whistles" all the time--I love it, but is that the norm? :O)

8. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Quite probably the whistler is a boy. Does the other one quack?

9. Ren2014

Ren2014 Blessed Beyond Hope Premium Member

Jan 27, 2014
    Texas
    It's sounding like a female to me but the drake feather should prevent itself by 16 weeks and confirm either way. Good luck.

I might start leaving our drakes out at night. Our ratio boys to girls is off and until I re-home two of them I've got to do something. Thank you.

PRECIOUS!! What a good dog[​IMG]

Absolutely and welcome[​IMG] Congrats on your new Pekins

I'm having this problem also. Meal worms help tremendously but that's the only time they will come near me:( OMG, I can't get over the fact that an animal doesn't love me, lol.

We are having the ramp issue also. I have food and water both in and out. Ducks need water at all times and food 24/7 for the first 8 weeks. I'm using meal worms on our ramp and have been able to get some of our ducks to follow the meal worms up the ramp. Do keep putting them in at night. It will take time. I'd say in about 2 weeks or so they will have it figured out.

X2

X2

10. Mrs.H

Mrs.H Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    Thanks for the replies! I just moved their food outside for now and will put it back in with them at night and will try the ramp thing again once they are bigger. I'm not sure the degree of the ramp but the highest part is about 6in off ground. Plus I have it lined with the rubbery shelf liner for extra traction

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by