Pekin Duck Club!

YES! ACV is good for ducks. there is a lot of info on it on this forum and if you google it...you have months of reading. I give them about a teaspoon per gallon. I dont really measure.

My babies have all grown up and have lost their fear of the pond... now they are hardly ever out of the water.. fun to watch them diving under and us guessing where they will pop up!

Think I have 2 males and 2 females. Hoping I won't have to re home one male... just going to see how it goes.

Hi LadyIsadora, you made me laugh w/ur "tromp, tromp, tromp" impession. My male pekin is a litt bigger than the female pekin & they both can get up & "tromp, tromp, tromp" when it is treat time. I do put ACV in their water, they (all 12 ducklings) were getting Brewers Yeast up until 3 days ago, because i ran out. Have been givi g them kale (chopped very tiny) green leaf lettuce, peas & corn. I was trying to find brewers yeast in bulk (on internet) but couldnt find it. How/where do u buy your brewers yeast? I bought so niacin tablets the other day & will crush them up & sprinkle on their food. I bought all my duckli gs from Metzer Farms, they are great, have been working w/me since i lost 2 ducklings (they replaced them). I have been working w/Ashley & i asked her about the Pekins "lumbering/heavy bodies. Ashley said i should switch them back to a starter feed w/14%-16% protein. I started them on "Starter Grower crumble w/18% for 2 weeks, then switched them (all my ducklings, chickens & my 2, 1 yr old fawn & white runners) to "Flock Raiser" 20% protein about 2 weeks ago because members on this site were suggesting they need higher protein. So now i will switch them back to a lower protein.
The pekins are starting to honk/quack, sooo cute.
Thank you for ur reply & ur encouragement.

My babies have all grown up and have lost their fear of the pond... now they are hardly ever out of the water.. fun to watch them diving under and us guessing where they will pop up! Think I have 2 males and 2 females. Hoping I won't have to re home one male... just going to see how it goes.
How awesome. We have a pond that has water in it from late winter to june or july. It is 100 yards from our house, down a little hill & through some trees & brush/w foot trails. My 2 1 yr old faw & white runners will not go in it. I carried them & put them in it once, 1 liked it & 1 didn't so much. I think it is because of all the brushbecause they go farther than 100 yards when they up our hill or out in the pasture. I am ok w/ them not going in our pond because i cant see them if they were out in it & i worry about preditors. Thanks for sharing ur pic.

Hi LadyIsadora, you made me laugh w/ur "tromp, tromp, tromp" impession. My male pekin is a litt bigger than the female pekin & they both can get up & "tromp, tromp, tromp" when it is treat time. I do put ACV in their water, they (all 12 ducklings) were getting Brewers Yeast up until 3 days ago, because i ran out. Have been givi g them kale (chopped very tiny) green leaf lettuce, peas & corn. I was trying to find brewers yeast in bulk (on internet) but couldnt find it. How/where do u buy your brewers yeast? I bought so niacin tablets the other day & will crush them up & sprinkle on their food. I bought all my duckli gs from Metzer Farms, they are great, have been working w/me since i lost 2 ducklings (they replaced them). I have been working w/Ashley & i asked her about the Pekins "lumbering/heavy bodies. Ashley said i should switch them back to a starter feed w/14%-16% protein. I started them on "Starter Grower crumble w/18% for 2 weeks, then switched them (all my ducklings, chickens & my 2, 1 yr old fawn & white runners) to "Flock Raiser" 20% protein about 2 weeks ago because members on this site were suggesting they need higher protein. So now i will switch them back to a lower protein.

I laughed at the "tromp, tromp, tromp" too. Kaessa gave me the link to buy brewers yeast online via Amazon. I'll find the link and send it to you in a PM.

I plan to start adding ACV, but have a couple of questions. One...is my memory correct that it needs to be Raw ACV? And I shouldn't use the galvanized waterer if I add ACV?

Thanks!

Thats what it seems like with those adorable lil fatties. tromp tromp tromp
My other duckies widdle waddle around them...Until the peas come out then it's TROMP TROMP TROMP with a purpose LOL ;-)

Sounds like we have very similar stories CyndiD ;-) I got 12 of my ducklings from Metzers--8 weeks ago today! And oddly enough I also ran out of yeast about 5 days ago LOL! I buy nutritional yeast from the bulk bins at WINCO grocery store. It runs less than 1/2 the cost than either brewers yeast or nutritional yeast from any of the other stores I have found it in. I think it's just over 6 dollars a pound in the bin. I also ran out of ACV. well all vinegar actually. I must go shopping. I hate shopping.

Im so glad Metzers was helpful to you. I was pretty mad wen I got my order. a few of the ducks were weak and sick acting and one of the Pekin didn't have an eye. I fixed it though,lots of research, lots of care and I have not end ed up with a single loss.

If you are not going to use them for meat birds, then consider cutting down on their protein. But dont stress over it. slimming them down will help them be better layers. Fat birds do not lay well, so Im told.

I give my duckies all flock (20%), I gave a small amount of dry crumble laced with Nutritional yeast and the greater portion of dinner, until a few days ago it was fermented all flock + with added handfuls of wheat, Barley, flax, split pea, sesame seed, all kinds of additives. Whatever I could find at Winco in bins that was good for ducks. This means they were getting a varied protein content, Fermenting the feed makes the protein and other nutrients more bio- available by about 12%
They free range the back yard and eat copious amounts of bugs and greens,PLUS peas every morning for breakfast and several handfuls of dried Meal worms whenever anyone comes over to visit.

( oh little tip here, check your grocery store in the wild bird feed section, many carry dried meal worms. Smiths grocery had them for 3.50 a bag for 7 oz the feed store was 9.99 for the same amount. So I bought 3 bags! )

I have 13 ducks that are all fed together. some are PIGGY-DUCKS and some are submissive, so who knows how much Protein my spoiled babies are really getting?

Your Pekin will always be big and lumber because that is what they have been bread to be.
I will be limiting the amount of feed my layers get when it gets closer to laying age. I want my Jumbo Pekin Darlings Fat.

I laughed at the "tromp, tromp, tromp" too. Kaessa gave me the link to buy brewers yeast online via Amazon. I'll find the link and send it to you in a PM.

I plan to start adding ACV, but have a couple of questions. One...is my memory correct that it needs to be Raw ACV? And I shouldn't use the galvanized waterer if I add ACV?

Thanks!

You are right on the money Deb. I use other vinegar for cleaning BUT if its going into a body, Raw ACV is best. I have always bought Braggs but we have a new "sprouts" store in town and I have been using their version just like Braggs, It is Raw Apple Cider Vinegar With the Mother and all that jazzzzzzz but 1/2 the price of braggs
I avoid galvanized whenever I can on general principle. but yes acids can react with metals so keep tomatoes/ vinegar / fermented feeds and the like away from anything but high quality stainless. If I could find good porcelain or glass I would use that but it really has become ever so much easier, however unhealthy it may be, to use plastics.

@LadyIsadora - thanks for the info. I'm interested...will you share your reasons for avoiding galvanized?
big_smile.png
You should write a ducky book. I enjoy reading everything you write!

@LadyIsadora - thanks for the info. I'm interested...will you share your reasons for avoiding galvanized?
big_smile.png
You should write a ducky book. I enjoy reading everything you write!
Honestly it goes back to my metal working days----dang I sound old LOL
The galvanized coating is coated with zinc (some lead and chromuim and other amalgamation of stuff is in there too) and lets off toxic fumes when you try to weld it. I was cautioned NEVER EVER EVER TO WELD IT. I was young and impressionable and It stuck with me as an overly dangerous product. It can leach out into the water on hot days or under a heat lamp. It is theorized that there is a danger of Zinc poisoning and people are cautioned not to eat or drink from galvanized stuff. Is this really a problem? Probably not. I would guess the dangers are less than than using aluminum and we use that to cook with and in everyday. zinc is at least an essential nutrient. Everything is a poison.

"All things are poison and nothing (is) without poison; only the dose makes that a thing is no poison." -- Paracelsus (1493-1541)

so as long as they dont eat it and the acids do not break it down too much it is probably not a big deal to use at all. So it is likely not a worry for the logical person. I'm just not always logical. I avoid most metals where I can. But then I over indulge in fermentted drinks. Im not the health nut I try to be..so pick your poisons. LOL

Thanks for the complement Debs. I'm not anywhere near educated enough to write a ducky book, Im trying to be though ;-) I just get REALLY into my hobbies. Research & try everything. I have so very much to learn. Three months ago I didn't even know if it was safe to give my duckies gold fish in their pond. Not only is is safe its HIGHLY entertaining & healthy. Everything in moderation is my motto. Except learning, we should all OD on education.

Honestly it goes back to my metal working days----dang I sound old  LOL  
   The galvanized coating is coated with zinc (some lead and chromuim and other amalgamation of stuff is in there too) and lets off toxic fumes when you try to weld it.  I was cautioned NEVER EVER EVER TO WELD IT.  I was young and impressionable and It stuck with me as an overly dangerous product.   It can leach out into the water on hot days or under a heat lamp.  It is theorized that there is a danger of Zinc poisoning and people are cautioned not to eat or drink from galvanized stuff.   Is this really a problem?  Probably not.  I would guess the dangers are less than than using aluminum and we use that to cook with and in  everyday. zinc is at least an essential nutrient.  Everything is a poison. 

"All things are poison and nothing (is) without poison; only the dose makes that a thing is no poison." -- Paracelsus (1493-1541)

so as long as they dont eat it and the acids do not break it down too much it is probably not a big deal to use at all.  So it is likely  not  a worry for the logical person.  I'm just not always logical.   I avoid most metals where I can. But then I over indulge in fermentted drinks. Im not the health nut I try to be..so pick your poisons. LOL 

Thanks for the complement Debs.  I'm not anywhere near educated enough to write a ducky book, Im trying to be though ;-)  I just get REALLY into my hobbies.  Research & try everything.  I have so very much to learn.  Three months ago I didn't even know if it was safe to give my duckies gold fish in their pond.  Not only is is safe its HIGHLY entertaining & healthy.  Everything in moderation is my motto.  Except learning, we should all OD on education. 
I just came back on to talk about the vinegar stripping the metal of the zinc, causing it to leak in the water, it also opens the waterer to rust, but you beat me to it! With a much better explanation too!

Back
Top Bottom