Pekin Duck Club!

awww so sweet mine just come jump on my lap grab glasses and run... then i get to cuddle them and pat them
D.gif
they look a bit like that when they do it
tongue.png
that is adorable that they do that. and your avatar is to die for cute.

Hi I have 2 Grimaud Pekin ducklings that r 4 weeks old. They r a large duck that can get up to 9 pounds or more. My ducklings r doing well, thriving & growing very fast. They both "lumber" when they walk/walk heavy with each step. They seem to not have enough strength to carry their own weight. They lay down when they eat & drink/they lay down alot.
My Q. is, is this normal for a large Pekin duck? Thanks for any replies.

They are likely just fine. I have 4 Jumbo Pekin that are 8 weeks and 1 regular pekin that is 12 weeks. Those Pekins grow fast but those Jumbo Pekin OMG its magic! Yes they lumber. I think most Pekin do, as they are all big meat birds. They grow big fast and it can cause growing pains. I was a bit surprised how much my first pekins just sat around not doing anything, by the time my babies came I was used to it. I adore their lumbering waddle. the only time they get some fire under their britches is when I have a bug or peas for them, then its HILIAIOUS to watch them tromp tromp tromp across the lawn at full speed.

I do put Braggs ACV in their water everyday, Brewers yeast over dry crumble feed for the needed added Niacin (B3), and Fermented feed was their primary feed.

All of the flock can benifit from these things but It is my feeling these babies in particular need it most because they DO grow so fast. Im sure they would grow, and can be eaten with out all the extras I do, but I want the healthiest, happiest food possible.

I think It really helped with the growing. I have an amazing healthy LOUD flock ;-)

Is a white beak normal for this breed? I've got two ducklings with yellow beaks and one with a white one...
I have one Pekin with a buff coloured beak. I totally freaked out and thought the duck was sick. I did a bunch of research on the internert. I was frantic.

Yea, its fine. colours vary, all are fine. Does not denote any illness and they can even get freckles when they are hormonal. Nothing to worry about. Beak colour is like skin colour, it changes and they are all a bit different shades. all good.

I have one Pekin with a buff coloured beak.  I totally freaked out and thought the duck was sick.  I did a bunch of research on the internert.  I was frantic.    

Yea, its fine.  colours vary, all are fine.  Does not denote any illness and they can even get freckles when they are hormonal.  Nothing to worry about.  Beak colour is like skin colour, it changes and they are all a bit different shades. all good. 
u r right. It is all good. Right now on my computer background is a photo of John's Pekin. She is super cute and healthy and her beak is faded and full of dark freckles.

I am not sure I am correct, but my understanding is that their bill gets dark when they are of laying age. The more they lay the lighter it gets because their body is actually taking...oh, whatever makes it dark, to make the egg yolks dark. When they stop their laying season it gets dark again before the next laying season begins.

Back
Top Bottom