Pekin Duck Club!

I checked with a friend who raises Pekins and she said none of hers have dark tongues. Something coukd be amiss. A good duck vet is always best if that is possible. Have you taken a close look, smelled the duck's breath to see if it smells bad? My ducks' breath is pleasant, so an off odor would concern me.
I have a question for all the Pekin owners here... Do any of you have geese housed with your ducks? We are thinking about getting a pilgrim gosling and wondering if keeping them together in the same pen would be an issue. Our enclosed pen is 15×12. It would just be the three of them living in there when the gosling is old enough to go out. Any input would be greatly appreciated!They would also free range when I can supervise them.

Last edited:
I was just watching videos on you tube about duck pens and some people are so mean to their ducks, I guess I don't understand how you could raise a duck and just butcher it. I think its so sad. No offense to anyone!
1f628.png

Mine do the same thing. I tell them "time to go nite nite!" And most nights they go right in but sometimes they just want to stay out s little longer!

Last edited:
It was so nice today my ducks (the mob) are already giving me a hard time. I went out to close up the coop and called to them to come to bed and they got all loud as if they were saying " oh mom just a little longer" and took off running thru the yard. The neighbors probably think I'm crazy watching me out in the yard arguing with my ducks. Needless to say I gave in and told them I would be back out in an hour and they better not give me a hard time.
This only gets worse the warmer it gets. Got to love em.[/quote

I was just watching videos on you tube about duck pens and some people are so mean to their ducks, I guess I don't understand how you could raise a duck and just butcher it. I think its so sad. No offense to anyone!
1f628.png

I'd rather give a duck a good life and a quick death than buy one raised in a factory farm under who knows what conditions. It sucks, but unless you're going to give up meat entirely, I'd rather do it that way.

That being said, I don't think I could eat any of my ducks. Not the ones I hand raised, anyway. This is why I very specifically ordered only girls, so I wouldn't have to.

I'm a big softie. I'm also an omnivore. I know my meat doesn't just come from the grocery store. It's a dilemma, isn't it. :(

I'd rather give a duck a good life and a quick death than buy one raised in a factory farm under who knows what conditions. It sucks, but unless you're going to give up meat entirely, I'd rather do it that way.

That being said, I don't think I could eat any of my ducks. Not the ones I hand raised, anyway. This is why I very specifically ordered only girls, so I wouldn't have to.

I'm a big softie. I'm also an omnivore. I know my meat doesn't just come from the grocery store. It's a dilemma, isn't it. :(
We buy 5lbs of chicken breasts a week and still can't fathom raising birds to eat...We know they don't grow in packages, we just can't look it in the eye and eat it...

I agree. I eat meat , a lot actually! But its like u said. I can't fathom raising my ducks and then looking them in the eye and killing them. That's what I don't understand. I have went deer hunting. Yet it bothers me when I see a deer in ten pieces hit by a car scattered across the highway! That's just me. Ive wondered if I lived on a farm if I would be a vegetarian....hmmm

Hello everyone... I know this isn't a goose thread... BUT... We just got two new members to add to our little flock family! Hopefully our two pekins learn to accept them as they grow. I couldn't resist sharing!

Back
Top Bottom