Pekin Duck Club!

Any ideas on how to get ducks up into a raised coop??? I made a ramp, wouldn't go up, now there's just cinder blocks, which one will go up, and the rest just sort of stand there... Any ideas?

Any ideas on how to get ducks up into a raised coop??? I made a ramp, wouldn't go up, now there's just cinder blocks, which one will go up, and the rest just sort of stand there... Any ideas?

Try making the ramp wide, with a really shallow incline, and have something on it so they don't slip. Rails are good, too, since they can easily fall off and hurt themselves. Then, bribe them up with snacks!

I agree. I eat meat , a lot actually! But its like u said. I can't fathom raising my ducks and then looking them in the eye and killing them. That's what I don't understand. I have went deer hunting. Yet it bothers me when I see a deer in ten pieces hit by a car scattered across the highway! That's just me. Ive wondered if I lived on a farm if I would be a vegetarian....hmmm

Toooo cute!  What breed are they? 
Thank you!! They are Pilgrims.

I'd rather give a duck a good life and a quick death than buy one raised in a factory farm under who knows what conditions. It sucks, but unless you're going to give up meat entirely, I'd rather do it that way.

That being said, I don't think I could eat any of my ducks. Not the ones I hand raised, anyway. This is why I very specifically ordered only girls, so I wouldn't have to.

I'm a big softie. I'm also an omnivore. I know my meat doesn't just come from the grocery store. It's a dilemma, isn't it. :(
Great post Kaessa. I am an omnivore too and try and not think about how my meat meal came to be. I also think we as duck lovers have a hard time imagining a duck being, um, butchered.

We buy 5lbs of chicken breasts a week and still can't fathom raising birds to eat...We know they don't grow in packages, we just can't look it in the eye and eat it...
I understand totally. I've even eaten duck that someone else hunted and did whatever they do to get it to my plate but I could never hunt any myself. Ish.

Hello everyone... I know this isn't a goose thread... BUT... We just got two new members to add to our little flock family! Hopefully our two pekins learn to accept them as they grow. I couldn't resist sharing!
They are absolutely precious. I am glad you put them up on here. Even if they aren't ducks, they have webs and bills like a duck. So cute.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom