Pekin Duck Club!

I just got two pekin duckling two weeks it has been difficult to get them to not be scared of us any suggestion on how to tame them. Also, what is the best type of feed to give them ?
I have the same issue. All I do is feed them, clean their cage, give them fresh water - - - what is so scary?
Their mother was always this way so I guess she is teaching the babies to fear people.
Good luck.

Hi everyone. We have one Pekin female, Butterscotch. She has been laying since December and faithfully lays nearly everyday. She is the leader of a small group of ducks, herself and 3 Rouens. She is a silly little ball of hormones right now. Her first mating season has her hormones going wild. She puffs up her feathers and runs just ahead of me with her mouth wide open. She slows down occasionally so I can toot her booty and off she goes again.
She is a piggy and LOVES the mud!

I have the same issue. All I do is feed them, clean their cage, give them fresh water - - - what is so scary?
Their mother was always this way so I guess she is teaching the babies to fear people.
Good luck
Something that may help, it worked great for us anyways....We had our girls in a huge dog crate while they were small. The Pekin, Butter, got to where she would visibly shake when I would change the bedding or water/food. One thing that helped her to get used to me was that I would go over sit on the floor on my knees, tuck her between my legs, and kinda bend over her. She would kinda be wrapped in a little cocoon. While I had her there I would talk to her, run my hands along her, and nuzzle and hug her. It took a while but by the time she was fully feathered and ready to go outside she was used to me and I have absolutely no problem going to her and picking her up, she will even slow down or stop so I can get her. Hand feeding them treats (ours go daffy over cucumbers or lettuce) helped too. All our hand raised girls will eat right out of our hands.

Can I join the Pekin Club? The husband and I are TSC victims and not only got a new batch of chicks this year, but also got two baby ducklings, Ming-Ming and Silly (named by our 5-year old).

OMG look at those cuties xoxo! Welcome aboard :)
Hi everyone. We have one Pekin female, Butterscotch. She has been laying since December and faithfully lays nearly everyday. She is the leader of a small group of ducks, herself and 3 Rouens. She is a silly little ball of hormones right now. Her first mating season has her hormones going wild. She puffs up her feathers and runs just ahead of me with her mouth wide open. She slows down occasionally so I can toot her booty and off she goes again.
She is a piggy and LOVES the mud!

Hello Pekin Club!

Just hatched two Pekin ducklings late January, they are already nearly as big as their parents. The female, Ducky, was my sons pet & we have had her a few years. We lost her sister last year and my poor girl wouldn't leave her nest. I gave her some eggs from another person's pekin and got our drake. He as born last July and is already a papa.
I am thinking my two pekin babies are girls. They are starting to "quack" as apposed to the sound my drake makes.
The Pekin ducklings are a week older than the mixed ducklings, that is a long story.

So glad to see a Pekin club on BYC! Please count me in.
Yay! Welcome! Such a beautiful flock I can't wait to see those little ones feathered :)

Thanks. I go down and sit by the kennel and talk to them until they settle down but I have not tried holding them that way. I still think their mother is a bad influence. I love her anyway. We raised a little KC in the house (my son did at least) & it was a sweet as can be. Once introduced to the mother & other duckling it became afraid of us too!
I will start working on them today. I would love to have them as friendly as my chickens are.
jumpy.gif

What cute ducks!
I hatched some babies from a lady that told me they would be Khaki's and Welsh, since that is what I wanted
roll.png
Once hatched not one duckling looks to be Khaki and only one looks to be Welsh. I called her back as what I really got was mutt ducks since she keeps her mixed flock all together. Not that big a deal as I really wanted eggs. What is interesting is that 3 babies look quite a bit like your Rouens.
I will try and get a picture to upload.
I also need to ask this girl if she has that breed now that I see your ducks. I know she has Mallards, KC, WH, and Pekin. What else did she forget to tell me?
he.gif

Yep...I would like to apply to part of the Pekin Duck Club! Hatched out 5 little cuties this afternoon. There was a crested in the breeding flock, so it was thought that there may be one in the eggs that I hatched, but they don't look like it. Can you tell right away or does it take a while to visualize the little shower cap?

Yep...I would like to apply to part of the Pekin Duck Club! Hatched out 5 little cuties this afternoon. There was a crested in the breeding flock, so it was thought that there may be one in the eggs that I hatched, but they don't look like it. Can you tell right away or does it take a while to visualize the little shower cap?
Welcome to the club! Feel free to share photos, information, ask questions and enjoy being around other Pekin owners :). I don't know much about crests except for how cute they are. I can imagine that they are born with the crest though.

I've been a Pekin Mommy for almost a year and I'm loving it! Soleil is a house duck so it's non-stop snuggles, cuddles and ducky kisses xoxo!

Last edited:
Welcome to the club! Feel free to share photos, information, ask questions and enjoy being around other Pekin owners :). I don't know much about crests except for how cute they are. I can imagine that they are born with the crest though.

I've been a Pekin Mommy for almost a year and I'm loving it! Soleil is a house duck so it's non-stop snuggles, cuddles and ducky kisses xoxo!
how do you have a duck in the house? I've been wondering that....

Okay, so little ones are 24 hours old. I watched the You Tube videos on how to sex them. I started with 10 eggs, I dropped one. Then I only had room for 7 in the 'bator. (I only ordered 6...the seller sent extra.) So, in went the 7. Yesterday, in a matter of 4 hours, 5 hatched. (One quit early and one I think is a no. I am leaving it in the bator for a few more days).

So, I have my light and my magnifying glass, I do the vent thing, and I don't see any male parts. Could it be that all of them are female? I just think that it would be odd. I understand each egg has a 50/50 chance...but 5/5 females? Should I try again? Is there another way to tell?

Back
Top Bottom