Pekin Duck Club!

Well, Quack-Quack is 8 weeks old now, closer to 9 really. We still do not know the sex of Quack-Quack. He/She does not relly chirp any more but has more of a whistle or at times a raspy little bark it almost sounds like. Most of the tail feathers have a little curl but I also know that these will soon be gone and replaced with the adult ones. I'm not counting on being to tell the sex until around June or July (4-5 months). He/She has out grown the carrier bag I bought and we have since gotten a pet stroller.
We went to the store with Quack-Quack just sitting in my lap (instead of being in the carrier) for the first time this lst weekend and he/she FREAKED OUT, would've climbed up in to my hair if he/she could have but we settled on just the head being hidden, hoping this will get better the more rides we take. Nice and relaxed for the second ever ride in the stroller. I will be receiving a bicycle trailer soon ( I am hoping he/she will not freak out like in the car) along with a walking harness (already have a leash) and we will be going to the park to sit by the river and eat bugs and things at the creek. I am looking forward to the weather being nice and getting out and exploring new things. My fiancee is anxious to get to a lake to go fishing and this summer go swimming with Quack-Quack.
I know there will come a time when we can not bring Quack-Quack with us like when we go out ot eat or out for a few drinks, so how do we get Quack-Quack to feel O.K. bout us leaving for a while? or should we find a duck sitter? And when does the bill get to be the same color as the feet?
You Quack-Quack is deffinitly a male.

Also, not to be mean but your humanizing your duck. They dont need strollers and special equiptment. It will be just fine left at home when you go out. Sorry but ducks are animals and dont think like humans. And yes I would completely expect a duck to freak out like he did.

Last edited:
Howdy you all. I have been raising hens (12) now for 3 years. I just saw an add for a local who needs a home for 2 - 5 week old Pekin ducklings. 5 of my hatchlings are 5 weeks old as well. They live in a separate partition in the coop with their 'Mommy'. If I were to go rescue these 2 ducks could I just stick them in the 'broody coop' with mamma and babies? I has to be more complicated than that
hu.gif
Green Liver, is that a goose? It looks huge for 8 weeks.

Last edited:
Howdy you all.  I have been raising hens (12) now for 3 years.  I just saw an add for a local who needs a home for 2 - 5 week old Pekin ducklings.  5 of my hatchlings are 5 weeks old as well.  They live in a separate partition in the coop with their 'Mommy'.  If I were to go rescue these 2 ducks could I just stick them in the 'broody coop' with mamma and babies? I has to be more complicated than that :confused:   Green Liver, is that a goose?  It looks huge for 8 weeks.

You might be able to if "mommy" will take them. If not you can try to intergrade them by having them fenced off. So that they can be with the flock but out of harms way too. Fencing where they can see each other is best. After a few days try a supervised visit and see how things go if they don't go great then just keep them separate for awhile. Nope not a goose that's deff a Pekin.

You Quack-Quack is deffinitly a male.

Also, not to be mean but your humanizing your duck. They dont need strollers and special equiptment. It will be just fine left at home when you go out. Sorry but ducks are animals and dont think like humans. And yes I would completely expect a duck to freak out like he did.
O.K. but I have also been told that he NEEDS to go because Ducks are social birds and he is alone. I CAN NOT leave him right now as he freaks out. AND he ONLY freaked out his first time in the car NOT doing ANYTHING else,( I have heard of Ducks getting motion sicness and was thankful this did not happe). like riding in the stroller while in the store, or being carried in the pet carrier I had bought first. Have you read "Duck! There's a Goose in the House", I'm thinking maybe you haven't? You can do these things and I am NOT humanizing Quack-Quack, Quack-Quack is an imprinted Duck and believes he's human anyways because of this. If you can not or should not take your Duck then why are diaper harnesses and walking harnesses made? Thank You for you very much for letting me know we have a drake and I thank you for your opinon about taking Quack-Quack with me wherever I go but I KNOW it's been and is being done.

Last edited:
Howdy you all. I have been raising hens (12) now for 3 years. I just saw an add for a local who needs a home for 2 - 5 week old Pekin ducklings. 5 of my hatchlings are 5 weeks old as well. They live in a separate partition in the coop with their 'Mommy'. If I were to go rescue these 2 ducks could I just stick them in the 'broody coop' with mamma and babies? I has to be more complicated than that
hu.gif
Green Liver, is that a goose? It looks huge for 8 weeks.
White Pekin, Thank You :)

O.K. but I have also been told that he NEEDS to go because Ducks are social birds and he is alone. I CAN NOT leave him right now as he freaks out. AND he ONLY freaked out his first time in the car NOT doing ANYTHING else,( I have heard of Ducks getting motion sicness and was thankful this did not happe). like riding in the stroller while in the store, or being carried in the pet carrier I had bought first. Have you read "Duck! There's a Goose in the House", I'm thinking maybe you haven't? You can do these things and I am NOT humanizing Quack-Quack, Quack-Quack is an imprinted Duck and believes he's human anyways because of this. If you can not or should not take your Duck then why are diaper harnesses and walking harnesses made? Thank You for you very much for letting me know we have a drake and I thank you for your opinon about taking Quack-Quack with me wherever I go but I KNOW it's been and is being done.

DenverDucky's girl is a sole house duck - we also know a local family here that has a huge black duck for a pet - he is leash trained, etc. and they take him on outings all the time. I think Quack Quack will eventually get used to everything. Remember they are prey animals so they can be flighty until they feel really comfortable.
A lot of people who have house ducks also have another house pet - like a dog, etc. that the duck can hang out with when you're gone. Do you have any other companions for Quack Quack? If not, I'd be interested to hear what other house duck owners do when they leave - possibly kennel just some people do with a house dog?
As for humanizing ducks... isn't that what all true Pekin lovers do?
smile.png

DenverDucky's girl is a sole house duck - we also know a local family here that has a huge black duck for a pet - he is leash trained, etc. and they take him on outings all the time. I think Quack Quack will eventually get used to everything. Remember they are prey animals so they can be flighty until they feel really comfortable.
A lot of people who have house ducks also have another house pet - like a dog, etc. that the duck can hang out with when you're gone. Do you have any other companions for Quack Quack? If not, I'd be interested to hear what other house duck owners do when they leave - possibly kennel just some people do with a house dog?
As for humanizing ducks... isn't that what all true Pekin lovers do?
smile.png
Quack-Quck is the ONLY pet in the house. We live in a good sized apartment with a small yard. I have heard that I can leave him alone but should only do this for a couple hours at a time. We have been talking about a "Duck Sitter" if we should ever be gone for longer, there are a few people that Quack-Quack is familar with. I am curious to know what Denver Ducky does with Soelei (how do you spell it?) and what Puddles momma is doing.
I am looking very forward to going to the park, swimming, and camping with him this year. Our children are grown and I am a housewife with bad back and can not work. "Duck! There's a Goose in the House" is a very good book for those who have inside Duckies and Geese, even for those who just want to know more about them. It was written by the Gooses Mother (Nancy Townsend). Being such a prey animal has got me being a VERY protective mom. My fiancee laughs at me but I won't go out the front door unless he is getting in the stroller. I want to let him roam the front for a bit but I won't do it until the harness and leash get here, back yard only for now unless we are going bye-bye

Back
Top Bottom