Pekin Duck Club!

I would say they quack often. I think it is a way they communicate with me too. Even while I am in the house, they will look up two stories and see me looking at them and know I will protect them. I have them trained to go into a shelter at night and I quack to them and they respond. They always get excited when the kids bus comes.

When I picked out several at Tractor Supply, I already had a few adult females and wanted a male. I selected the smallest ones and wanted a male so I also selected a larger one too. I ended up with all females and one male. I think it takes a few months for the rear tail to curl. I think the females may tend to have speckled beaks. Males bright orange.

So... If I find one at TSC and it is smaller than the others and the beak is speckled... I wish that was a guaranty!! I need another female... I may run by there just to see what they have and go from there.

Peepers who was aka Clarice is now learning pretty hard to Peepers aka Hannibal (boy).
3 weeks old.

Ducky and Peepers morning swim searching for the banana they dropped in the bottom.

Just got a Peking duckling Saturday sooooo cool so far. I can't wait until it is big enough to go outside.

I love my ducks! This is Mr.Peabody and Sweetpea the best white crested ducks in the world! I'm one happy mama

I love crested ducks! I wanted them so bad but couldn't find them without having to pay a fortune for them. My friends family had a few of them when we were younger we affectionately call them afro ducks.

Sorry so long for an update on Sally and waddlesworth, this is 5 1/2 weeks almost six. (Sorry for the messy cage photo this was before i cleaned them out.) We had a fire and lost four of our chicken babies. :'( the lucky ducklings and two of our bantams were in a different part of the house so they are ok. Sally I'm pretty sure is actually a hen. I am greeted with a chorus of honk quack quack quack each time i visit them. Still not sure on waddles tho. But I'm thinking drake. His peeps are very raspy even when he tries to quack.

Last edited:
I read a couple pages back that someone is concerned about duck poo being bad for compost. I'm composting the poo. I don't know about acidity but it is high in nitrogen and replaces fish fertilizer for me. I also read in Mother Earth News that is a very good compost mixture. . . . . . . Maybe that person was just jealious, QOL. I actually had a friend (one of my best) actually putting down the idea of a duck as I was researching, in the end she now wishes she could get a couple.
I'm wanting to know if the poo is a slug deterrent because we haven't had ANY in our yard yet this year and can only find small ones if we go turning rocks over.ch is a good thing, garden pest control was one of many reasons for getting a "Green" pet.

Last edited:
I read a couple pages back that someone is concerned about duck poo being bad for compost. I'm composting the poo. I don't know about acidity but it is high in nitrogen and replaces fish fertilizer for me. I also read in Mother Earth News that is a very good compost mixture. . . . . . . Maybe that person was just jealious, QOL. I actually had a friend (one of my best) actually putting down the idea of a duck as I was researching, in the end she now wishes she could get a couple.
I'm wanting to know if the poo is a slug deterrent because we haven't had ANY in our yard yet this year and can only find small ones if we go turning rocks over.ch is a good thing, garden pest control was one of many reasons for getting a "Green" pet.
I read where the slugs are quite tasty to ducks.

These are our four Pekins, I think they are 12 weeks old now. The one with the black feather we call spot. We have not named the others because we were not sure of their sex. I think they may are be drakes because none of them really quack. They do make a rather muffled raspy sound.
Sorry for your loss chickiemommie.

Back
Top Bottom