Pekin Duck Club!

I have another question. I have two females, which I am sure of because I separated them within their house and both of them lay eggs. But now the bigger, louder female is holding the smaller one under the water on top of her and biting her neck. Is this a dominance issue like dogs? you think if I got a Drake that this behavior would stop? its not that often and it doesn't last that long so I'm not too worried, just makes me curious
They practice doing the deed. Ours seems to switch out who is on bottom and who is on top although the more dominant one is usually on top more and most often. It is just something they do. I have no idea as to adding a male, we have no males.

Thx! She laid another one that same night, but it broke. I think it had a brittle shell. BTW, It was supposed to feel like 105 degrees today, Do you think my egg is cooked? It was in the shade.
And i have been turning it, and lucky for the egg it has been Humid outside! I hope my work helps it hatch. I know i should not interfere too much, Just can not help it!

$44.99 if you have a old computer with a fan you can use that too instead of buying one :) yeah I have two males two females the females are Louder and the males have curled tail feathers the females don't mine are about 7 months old now

Last edited:
My husband and I have several different birds along with 4 Jumbo Peking ducks. 3 ducks and 1 drake. We use to have 4 but some unknown predator got him. He was my favorite. He had a pale pink bill. I've never seen another with a bill like his before. Are they rare? Do you know where I could get one that had that pale pink color? His name was Pale Ale and he was the sweetest little guy. I worked with him since he was 1 day old and he was the most tame of them all. Since he was taken, the others don't come up to us much unless we have food, water, or treats. They won't let us pet them anymore either unless we catch them and then they may lay in our lap for a minute, then they run back to the others. Any suggestions as to gain their trust again? They were about 1 month old when he was taken. They are 3 months old now.

He may have been an Aylesbury duck. They are like Pekings but a little larger with apricot colored bills.

My husband and I have several different birds along with 4 Jumbo Peking ducks. 3 ducks and 1 drake. We use to have 4 but some unknown predator got him. He was my favorite. He had a pale pink bill. I've never seen another with a bill like his before. Are they rare? Do you know where I could get one that had that pale pink color? His name was Pale Ale and he was the sweetest little guy. I worked with him since he was 1 day old and he was the most tame of them all. Since he was taken, the others don't come up to us much unless we have food, water, or treats. They won't let us pet them anymore either unless we catch them and then they may lay in our lap for a minute, then they run back to the others. Any suggestions as to gain their trust again? They were about 1 month old when he was taken. They are 3 months old now.

This article describes the Aylesbury with the pinkish, rather than orange, colored bill. Also since you have jumbo Pekings the Aylesbury could have easily fit in with them and appeared to be another Peking. http://www.avianweb.com/aylesburyducks.html

Last edited:
My girls just started laying a week ago. We have 2 ducks and one drake about24 weeks old. We don't want any ducklings seeing as how we done have the room and we like oir little family. My question is....what if one of them goes broody? Will I be able to get in and get the eggs? Can this cause a change in their behavior? At the moment the girls done care about the eggs but the drake is not happy to see us grab them. We are eating the eggs and giving them to friends to eat/bake so they aren't going to waste....
Pekins are not really known for going broody. I had one that "kind of" went broody (would sit on the nest most of the day) but then if I let her out to free-range, etc., she would give up and go do what she wanted in the end. She wouldn't sit for several days and then decide to do it again for a day, etc. There are other breeds of ducks that make great moms and go broody often, but you don't really have to worry too much with Pekins... Just keep collecting eggs and they definitely won't go broody. Ducks don't start sitting on their nest until they have a TON of eggs accumulated.

I have another question. I have two females, which I am sure of because I separated them within their house and both of them lay eggs. But now the bigger, louder female is holding the smaller one under the water on top of her and biting her neck. Is this a dominance issue like dogs? you think if I got a Drake that this behavior would stop? its not that often and it doesn't last that long so I'm not too worried, just makes me curious
My Rouen did that to one of my Pekin girls for several months and we have a drake. She was also the one that would pull out all the chest feathers on my Jumbo Pekin (who was very passive and wouldn't fight back for whatever reason). Eventually she stopped both behaviors completely. As for dominance, maybe... but I never saw my drake "scold" her or try to stop her behavior - she just kind of seemed to grow out of it, so not really sure if having a drake would make any difference...

Back
Top Bottom