Pekin Duck Club!

I want to say thank you for the suggestions for finding Waddles a mate. I am happy to announce I will be picking up "Strut" tomorrow! She is 4 months old. I am so excited for Waddles.

Today I learned just how entertaining Waddles can be. He 'told' me his mud hole was in need of water! Too funny, he went to the hole and tapped his foot! I went to get the hose and he went wild, quacking and talking to me. Too funny. I am in love with my duck.
wee.gif

I want to say thank you for the suggestions for finding Waddles a mate. I am happy to announce I will be picking up "Strut" tomorrow!  She is 4 months old.  I am so excited for Waddles.

Today I learned just how entertaining Waddles can be. He 'told' me his mud hole was in need of water!  Too funny, he went to the hole and tapped his foot! I went to get the hose and he went wild, quacking and talking to me. Too funny. I am in love with my duck.  :weee

When mine were babies we would all run in the house scooby doo style, I would start, then my labs, then my ducks. The dogs would jump on the bed an the quacks would stop and stare at me "Mom help us on the bed!!"

Last edited:
"When mine were babies we would all run in the house scooby doo style, I would start, then my labs, then my ducks. The dogs would jump on the bed an the quacks would stop and stare at me "Mom help us on the bed!!""

That must have been hysterical to watch!
clap.gif

"When mine were babies we would all run in the house scooby doo style, I would start, then my labs, then my ducks. The dogs would jump on the bed an the quacks would stop and stare at me "Mom help us on the bed!!""

That must have been hysterical to watch! :clap
I loved the sound their feet made slapping on the floor, Always made me laugh!

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks Miss Lydia, countrygirl74 and Amiga

It was a lot of hard work but definitely worth it. They all seem happy. I posted a separate thread as suggested, with pics of the inside and also a thread on the chicken coop site of the other side (our chicken coop) We designed the plans ourself after many evening hours through the winter. The windows and vents have metal grating and then screening on to keep predators and pests out.
Our Pekin started laying this week and has laid daily since. ( 6 eggs in total) one being huge so maybe a double yoker? Going to make pancakes today and check.

Hello again! Smith and Wesson are doing great. When they follow me to their pool, they've started running and flapping their wings. So, I figure they are either pretending to fly, or they think it makes them run faster. While in their pool (kiddie pool), they dive under and swim as fast as they can, then run/jump completely out of the pool, run in a circle, and dive back in; repeat. They are so funny.

So, based on how they talk, I believe Smith is a female and Wesson is a male. Smith is the leader, she tries to boss me around by quacking loud when she wants something. Wesson is quiet and just watches everything.

However, Smith has started to do this "chest bump" to my DH and me. She runs up, bumps her chest to our legs, and runs off. I have NO CLUE why she's doing this. Is it aggressive? Is she trying to establish pecking order with us? Neither of us have given her a reaction (other than laughing). Is there some scientific reason or duck psychology behind this?? Should I worry she's becoming aggressive? They are my babies, very spoiled, have their own house and run, and I spend at least an hour a day with them. I have cows, goats, turkeys, and three different flocks of chickens. (white rocks, Ameraucanas, and a mix breed flock (with one "mama" Cochin)), i used to have guineas, but a mink broke in their house and killed them all one night. My Pekins are my favorites. (don't tell the others) So, I don't want them to be aggressive.

Thanks for all your help!!

I knew it! I told my husband that Pekins can be house trained. He thinks I'm nuts. Ok, Waddles and Strut are coming in the house for a visit.
celebrate.gif
I have looked up information about "housebreaking" Pekings. Apparently they don't have sphincter muscles lol and can't be "trained," so to say, as far as controlling their pooping. But ducky diapers exist!

Back
Top Bottom