Pekin Duck Club!

Finally found a solution to the ducks drinking and sloshing ALL the water so there is none left for the chickens. Waterer up above the chicken roost out of the ducks reach and a small bowl for the ducks on the floor. I just have to scoop up the wood chips from around their bowl once a day and replace with dry chips but its not so bad. I think I'm going to build some sort of hardware cloth frame over a plastic tray to trap most of the spilled water.
Other then that, everyone is getting along great. The chickens follow the ducks around everywhere. I think they think Puddles the Pekin is mom

I think adult Pekings are hard enough to re-home for free, even, as it is, sometimes. I wouldn't make the price very high. People prefer ducklings. Since a drake is involved it makes it harder because they are the first to go when people have flocks of Pekings and there are often too many drakes in them. You should definitely sell them as a pair though, however, because they are a bonded pair and will get depressed and I have heard can even die from being separated after being together their whole lives. Bottom line: A low price, to a good home, must sell as a pair... Just my thoughts on this.

X2 I recently rehomed my Pekins. and after a month of them listed for $20 for 3(2 Drakes, 1Duck) I decided to list them for free. I did get a few emails and was able to rehome them together, lucky for them because they got picked up on the same day we were going to process.

I think adult Pekings are hard enough to re-home for free, even, as it is, sometimes. I wouldn't make the price very high. People prefer ducklings. Since a drake is involved it makes it harder because they are the first to go when people have flocks of Pekings and there are often too many drakes in them. You should definitely sell them as a pair though, however, because they are a bonded pair and will get depressed and I have heard can even die from being separated after being together their whole lives. Bottom line: A low price, to a good home, must sell as a pair... Just my thoughts on this.

Well, I have someone wanting to buy them.

Finally found a solution to the ducks drinking and sloshing ALL the water so there is none left for the chickens. Waterer up above the chicken roost out of the ducks reach and a small bowl for the ducks on the floor. I just have to scoop up the wood chips from around their bowl once a day and replace with dry chips but its not so bad. I think I'm going to build some sort of hardware cloth frame over a plastic tray to trap most of the spilled water.
Other then that, everyone is getting along great. The chickens follow the ducks around everywhere. I think they think Puddles the Pekin is mom

[/URL]

clap.gif

I have a breeding pair of pekin ducks, named Dan and Brenda. Brenda tends to lay double yolk eggs alot. In the last month atleast been 15+ . Now Dan is not the only drake breeding her. My buff orpington drake (named drake) has been rather aggressively breeding her aswell. Brenda was not going broody but Megan my buff female was so I took the liberty of adding some of Brendas eggs to her nest. Atleast 6 of them were double yolkers. ( I know the double yolkers from singles because the shear size of the eggs. They are the size of goose eggs.) Megan took to them no problem, but I am really wondering on the chances of twins hatching and surviving. I do not see alot of info on duck twins from same egg and otherplaces say impossible or miricle. And with Brendas track record for laying double yolkers as often as she does ( around 2 a week) whick from what I can tell is a real rarity, I wondered if there is a real chance of survival of twin ducklings.

Thank you to everyone that answered my question about my girl's wings. It seems to be doing alot better. When do I stop feeding them starter food? They have been staying inside in the bathroom but I think they are old enough to go outside. They are almost 3 mths old. Please their home outside is almost done. I'll have to post pics of it. My male is starting to get his curly feather and his voice is changing. They are really funny. When my husband comes home and they are outside they run inside to greet him. My male looks at me kinda like hey mom we are inside. We need treats now lady.

Thank you to everyone that answered my question about my girl's wings. It seems to be doing alot better. When do I stop feeding them starter food? They have been staying inside in the bathroom but I think they are old enough to go outside. They are almost 3 mths old. Please their home outside is almost done. I'll have to post pics of it. My male is starting to get his curly feather and his voice is changing. They are really funny. When my husband comes home and they are outside they run inside to greet him. My male looks at me kinda like hey mom we are inside. We need treats now lady.

I switched from starter to grower between 2 and 3 weeks of age, so it's well time to get them on regular maintenance food. Your girl needs some crushed oyster shell on the side also before she starts to lay so I would give that right away also.

They are beautiful.

Back
Top Bottom