Pekin Duck Club!

coat hangers, pop sickle sticks, thick foam (my fav) all make good "braces" to lay against any broken bone (but especially) a wing and then use Vet Wrap to secure. Use TWO people. wrap the duck in a towel, cover the ducks head leaving the injured wing free to be mended. Make sure you feel the wing completely, find the fracture and gentlly but firming put in place. Lay the foam (or other bracing material) against it and secure in place with vet Wrap. A figure 8 style of wrapping usually works well on a wing. You then wrap the wint to the duck, taking care to not wrap so tight it effects the ducks, eating or breathing.

I dont emails of messages or follow up posts but please fee free to email me I am happy to answer questions I may miss

coat hangers, pop sickle sticks, thick foam (my fav) all make good "braces" to lay against any broken bone (but especially) a wing and then use Vet Wrap to secure. Use TWO people. wrap the duck in a towel, cover the ducks head leaving the injured wing free to be mended. Make sure you feel the wing completely, find the fracture and gentlly but firming put in place. Lay the foam (or other bracing material) against it and secure in place with vet Wrap. A figure 8 style of wrapping usually works well on a wing. You then wrap the wint to the duck, taking care to not wrap so tight it effects the ducks, eating or breathing.

I dont emails of messages or follow up posts but please fee free to email me I am happy to answer questions I may miss

Thanks, CelticOaksFarm.

My duck was injured last night by a fox I think has a small puncture wound on its breast area not deep thankfully. Does anyone recommend an antibiotic. Or can a duck get a rabies shot? Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks.

I donot do any vaccines or antibiotics here. I know that some people do use antibiotics when they feel their situations require them. I'm sure they will be on soon to advise you. In the meantime, I would stick to general wound care, Epsom Salt baths without soap and focus on providing comfortable and clean quarantine quarters with plenty of fresh food and water. I do advise vitamins given in water. If you can post a picture of the wound, I think that will help BYC members help advise you. I know sometimes (but not always) people will carefully clip feathers away from the border of the wound. I myself have never done this. The wound that I have dealt with here have been superficial and have healed on their own without any action from me beyond the baths and nutrition. I don't know your location, but should you have any flies, it will be very important for you to keep all insects away from the wound.

I would irrigate the wound with Veterycin. Storey's Guide recommends snipping the feathers around a wound so you can see and treat it well. Keep the flies away. And I would probably put some antibiotic cream around the wound.

ducklover87 recently dealt with a puncture or tear wound with her duck https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/823815/my-dog-attacked-my-duck-please-help

HealthTap writes that to get rabies from a duck you would need to get saliva from the bite into your eyes nose or mouth. So be careful cleaning.

I would think about an oral antibiotic because puncture wounds place bacteria below the skin. At the same time, I understand that overuse of antibiotics is not a good thing. Go with your instincts.

My geese and ducks are all laying .thank goodness for it. They started to lay eggs at ten months old. I thought they were never going to start laying . 2 of my ducks and on goose is broody now and laying on a total of 34 eggs . My goose is laying on 22 eggs(not all hers . Can you tell me if she would be able to mamage all those eggs by herelf or should I devide the eggs between my goose and ducks

I just wanted to show off new pics of my girls !!! Haha faithfully laying regularly everyday now at 6 m - they started @ 4 months .

Charlotte & cookie!

Webber

And their flock friends 5 month old Buff geese Lady & Lucy

Back
Top Bottom