Pekin Duck first time sitting

The Quack Shack

Chirping
Oct 16, 2018
West Virginia
My Pekin Duck has been sitting now for 2 weeks. This will be our first experience with newly hatched ducklings. Should I take them from the mom as soon as they are hatched? Could they stay with the mom for a longer period of time? The ducks free range during the day and are put in their bed at night. We have one drake and one other duck so I am going to keep the ducklings away from him. Thanks for your advice!

My Pekin Duck has been sitting now for 2 weeks. This will be our first experience with newly hatched ducklings. Should I take them from the mom as soon as they are hatched? Could they stay with the mom for a longer period of time? The ducks free range during the day and are put in their bed at night. We have one drake and one other duck so I am going to keep the ducklings away from him. Thanks for your advice!
my pekins have all been boys, so they’ve never hatched babies. my friend did let hers hatch and it did good for about a week and then killed one. i would seperate them and put the babies in a brooder

I personally don't understand people who take away the mothers babies right after hatch unless they have a legitimate reason, for peat sake the duck just sat on the eggs for 28 some days just for them to be taken away.

If the mother seems to be caring to the babies etc, I keep them in a large secure pen with feed and water separated from the other ducks, once the babies are a few weeks old I start to slowly integrate them back into the flock, with caution.

I personally don't understand people who take away the mothers babies right after hatch unless they have a legitimate reason, for peat sake the duck just sat on the eggs for 28 some days just for them to be taken away.

If the mother seems to be caring to the babies etc, I keep them in a large secure pen with feed and water separated from the other ducks, once the babies are a few weeks old I start to slowly integrate them back into the flock, with caution.

Thank you for your response. I would love to leave them with their momma to see what happens. I just hate the thought of any of them being killed. But now I have another question. I noticed Jill, (the sitting duck) left her nest early today and stayed off of it all day long. I went in the pen to count her eggs and I noticed there are ants in the nest. Could this be keeping her from sitting now? What can be done about the ants?

Agreed they spent all that time half starving themselves to be taken away is wrong

Back
Top Bottom