PEKIN DUCK HELP PLEASE!!!

Aubracious311

Hatching
Sep 17, 2020
Hi. I have a 8 week old pekin duck she is one of 6. Like many people I’m sure, I fed them purina flock starter. About a week ago, she had a limo where she would almost use her wing as a crutch. Checked her feet, no sores or ulcers. Then the next day, she can’t walk. Period. Cant use her legs. They look to be swollen and are very hot to the touch. I have googled everything. No ulcers, sores and or places on her feet. I have started niacin. Penicillin .5cc 2x day. Warm water soaks. And electrolyte mix in her water. Does anyone know what else I can be doing??? Please.

Hi. I have a 8 week old pekin duck she is one of 6. Like many people I’m sure, I fed them purina flock starter. About a week ago, she had a limo where she would almost use her wing as a crutch. Checked her feet, no sores or ulcers. Then the next day, she can’t walk. Period. Cant use her legs. They look to be swollen and are very hot to the touch. I have googled everything. No ulcers, sores and or places on her feet. I have started niacin. Penicillin .5cc 2x day. Warm water soaks. And electrolyte mix in her water. Does anyone know what else I can be doing??? Please.
And changed her food.

Welcome to BYC. Sorry to hear about your duck.

Could you post a video of her, and a few pictures of her legs? To post a video, you'll need to upload it to a video platform like yotube or vimeo, then copy/paste the link here.

Welcome to BYC. What part of her legs is swollen?
anatomy-of-duck-leg-backyard-chickens.jpg

I have started niacin.
How many mg are you giving?
Which one? Can you post a picture of it?
B complex liquid
Which one? Can you post a picture of it?

Is a vet an option?

We had a duck just like the one you described, we've tried everything and anything!! Unfortunately nothing worked and she ended up passing last week.. the vitamin in the water seemed to help a little bit and isolation but they can get depressed and die.. so keep it close to the rest of the flock if you decide isolating it.. we got a animal bandage wrap for her leg, we taped her leg close to her belly, to help heal it.. thats what we were told to do.. but still didn't help. Her leg was popped out of place you could hear it when you moved it around gently. We put it back in place but it would not stay ugh.

I apologize I was unable to respond sooner.

In addition, the questions above could you answer these?

Has there been any change in her feed/ and water intake? Is she producing poops frequently, if yes, could you post a few pictures? Has this duck had any problems in the past? Besides the swelling of the legs, are there any other symptoms? Have there been any changes in her environment that might have caused the leg problems?

Back
Top Bottom