Pekin duck help

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by hannandrews, Mar 28, 2016.

1. hannandrews

hannandrews New Egg

Mar 28, 2016
    I just got 2 female pekin ducks on St. Patrick's day so I took a guess that they were about five days old. I have a half acre lake in my backyard with some land and I was wondering when can they start going in the lake/outside? When do I take away their heat lamp? I'm going to get a chicken coop so that they are enclosed at night and what bedding should I use? Do they need separate water from the lake? They have a constant supply of food right now and once they get older do I only feed them three times a day (breakfast lunch dinner)? Any advice will help related to the questions or not thank you! [​IMG]

2. N F C

N F C dem crazy bones Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Cute ducklings! It's my understanding ducks need drinking water available to help them swallow their food. All your duck questions can be answered on the duck forum:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/42/ducks

The Learning Center also has a section on raising ducks, so be sure to check that out too.

Good luck!

3. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join us here! What adorable ducklings you have there, congratulations :clap Please do pop by the duck that NFC left for you, I'm sure the keepers there will be able to help you.

Wishing you the very best of luck with them and enjoy BYC :frow

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Please post on the duck forum. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by