Pekin duck help!

Marthasroost

Hatching
Jun 2, 2016
Good morning! I have a pekin duck who is borderline a jumbo pekin. We recently released them into the run & all members of my flock (13 chickens, 2 ducks - one silver harlequin & a pekin) are able to get back into the coop except my large pekin. We made an longer than normal ramp for him to use with less of a "slope" but he hasn't learned to use it & keeps slamming his breast at the doorway trying to climb in, with no success. Any suggestions on a different method or apparatus to use to help him get back into the coop?

Thanks

Good morning! I have a pekin duck who is borderline a jumbo pekin. We recently released them into the run & all members of my flock (13 chickens, 2 ducks - one silver harlequin & a pekin) are able to get back into the coop except my large pekin. We made an longer than normal ramp for him to use with less of a "slope" but he hasn't learned to use it & keeps slamming his breast at the doorway trying to climb in, with no success. Any suggestions on a different method or apparatus to use to help him get back into the coop?

Thanks
Hi and welcome! I have Pekins as well and they don't seem to be the most graceful of ducks! I have smaller ducks that can use a ramp but the Pekins seem to have trouble. I don't know how high your ramp is but I know mine like a wider one with not much slope at all. Perhaps you can raise the ramp at the bottom and then place bricks as "steps" for him to climb up on and then onto the ramp? I had to help a couple of mine (while they were having a fit as they think I am an ax murderer) up the ramp to show them how to use it. I had to make it wide though because they would tumble off the sides. I also made sure it was a nonskid surface because that caused a problem as well. I now have a duck house that they can just step in which makes it easier for them.

Back
Top Bottom