Pekin Duck injury to head

Drob2022

Hatching
May 24, 2022
Please see photo! What is this? Is it his ear with an injury or infection? It’s only one side. He eats, drinks, swims, chases his ladies… normal behavior. The wound looks nasty. It moves when he eats and swallows. We don’t have a vet that works on ducks. I thought one of you may be able to help. Thank you!!!

Attachments

• 53777103-63F4-4FCD-848D-C22CB35A3F0C.jpeg
    53777103-63F4-4FCD-848D-C22CB35A3F0C.jpeg
    433.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 3E237C5A-9AD2-4DC6-9E05-EE3C6A200387.jpeg
    3E237C5A-9AD2-4DC6-9E05-EE3C6A200387.jpeg
    468.8 KB · Views: 2
  • A14DBB11-29DD-4949-B67A-7DCE09EA0D6D.jpeg
    A14DBB11-29DD-4949-B67A-7DCE09EA0D6D.jpeg
    344.3 KB · Views: 2
Please see photo! What is this? Is it his ear with an injury or infection? It’s only one side. He eats, drinks, swims, chases his ladies… normal behavior. The wound looks nasty. It moves when he eats and swallows. We don’t have a vet that works on ducks. I thought one of you may be able to help. Thank you!!!
That is a simple skinning by the looks of it. It is not the ear. An antibiotic none pain relief wound spray a few times a day should heal it up quickly.

Screenshot_20220525-022818_Samsung Internet.jpg

To me, it looks as if he got it caught on something that tore his skin. Cleaning it up and putting some vetericyn spray on it should heal it up pretty fast.

Do you have other drakes ?
I know when one of my drakes is trying to mate the other one comes in and starts biting the one mating
I’m going to tag @Miss Lydia and @DuckyDonna but they will be in bed now
They both maybe able to help with what to treat and clean him with
That could be the reason @Drob22 any ideas on how this happened? Or could have caught it on something. Wash the wound real good saline is a good rinse. then use a spray like Vererycin.
You might want to keep him where flies can't get to the wound or you maybe dealing with maggots and that you def don't want.
:welcome

Do you have other drakes ?
I know when one of my drakes is trying to mate the other one comes in and starts biting the one mating
I’m going to tag @Miss Lydia and @DuckyDonna but they will be in bed now
They both maybe able to help with what to treat and clean him with
No other drakes. But have a rooster that I’ve seen chase him to the pond. I was thinking the rooster finally got him?? But, they’ve had no issue to this point. Both grew up together. 2years old now. Thank you for your reply.

That could be the reason @Drob22 any ideas on how this happened? Or could have caught it on something. Wash the wound real good saline is a good rinse. then use a spray like Vererycin.
You might want to keep him where flies can't get to the wound or you maybe dealing with maggots and that you def don't want.
:welcome
Thank you. I have been rinsing with saline. I’ll get Vererycin. Maggots would be a def no. Thanks for your response.

Back
Top Bottom