Pekin duck, irritated eye!

Ecduck9

In the Brooder
Jun 12, 2021
Hello everyone! I have a 4 month old pekin whose eyes are pretty irritated. There hasn't been any discharge, no sneezing, no other signs of anything being off. It also seems to come and go? One day he'll be closing that eye a lot and then for another couple of days it doesn't seem to bother him. I was flushing them with saline and then I thought maybe he needed something more so I've been using the Vetericyn plus eye wash and eye gel. The vet in the area that sees ducks can't see him until the first week of September.

I'm not sure what may be going on and I was hoping maybe one of you had a better idea. Is there something else that I should be doing?

Thank you for the help!

Eye 1.jpg Eye 2.jpg Eye 3.jpg Eye Medicine.jpg

Aww, bless. First off does he have deep buckets or bowls to keep his eyes and nares cleaned? Very important.
I have used the Vetericyn plus before but I have to say if you can get the Terramycin eye ointment it does work better if there is an infection. If irritations of some sort then the vetericyn plus is good stuff. TSC or other feed stores on online would have the Terramycin.
So a drake and no one is attacking him like another drake or drakes?
From the pictures, it doesn't look really bad so hopefully, the Terramycin would clear it up pretty quick.

Aww, bless. First off does he have deep buckets or bowls to keep his eyes and nares cleaned? Very important.
I have used the Vetericyn plus before but I have to say if you can get the Terramycin eye ointment it does work better if there is an infection. If irritations of some sort then the vetericyn plus is good stuff. TSC or other feed stores on online would have the Terramycin.
So a drake and no one is attacking him like another drake or drakes?
From the pictures, it doesn't look really bad so hopefully, the Terramycin would clear it up pretty quick.
Hello! Yes, he does have two different spots he can dunk his head! That's good to know about the Terramycin, I will get him some this weekend. I only have drakes, there are 3 of them, but they really don't mess with one another. Aside from an occasional bite on the butt to move someone out of the way, lol.

When you use the Terramycin, how do you use it? Would you still recommend flushing the eye out with the Vetericyn plus wash first and then applying it? And would I do it once or twice a day and for how long?

Thank you for the help!!

Yes use the Vetricyn plus first and then let it dry before putting the Terramycin on. I wait till bedtime since I don’t put food and water inside their house, that way he can’t wash it off. Hopefully the Terramycin will clear it up quick.

Back
Top Bottom