Pekin duck legs

Coopertwo

Hatching
Mar 19, 2024
Hello
Can I fix bowed legs? I am new to this and accidentally bought chicken feed for my chickens and ducks. It's only the male Pekin duck that is having problems. I have taken him and filled my tub with water. Fed him with duck feed and nutritional yeast. Will this help correct his legs? If so how long does it usually take?
Thank you so much

Hello
Can I fix bowed legs? I am new to this and accidentally bought chicken feed for my chickens and ducks. It's only the male Pekin duck that is having problems. I have taken him and filled my tub with water. Fed him with duck feed and nutritional yeast. Will this help correct his legs? If so how long does it usually take?
Thank you so much
How old is your drake and how long has he been like this? You need to go to TSC and buy Liquid B complex and start him on it. 1 ml over a small amount of tasty treat. and if he hasn't been this way long it may correct. If it has been going on for a while it can still help but not sure how much of a correction you'll get. But don't let it continue because niacin deficiency can kill them. After you see good results then switch to Nutritional yeast. This is what IMG_2678 2.jpeg you want

Hello
Thank you so much
Welcome to BYC! :frow

Unfortunately, you are not the first and that's a very common mistake that get's made. Additionally Pekin actually require even more niacin.. closer to 70 mg/kg of feed than standard duckling which is about 55 mg/kg. (according to my understanding they are heavy fast growers)

The reduction in other amino acids from *typically* lower protein chick starters.. *may* have contributed to other conditions like rickets, etc. One cannot know the extent with certainty, at least not me.. I'm always looking for root causes rather than symptoms. Out of curiosity, do you recall what protein content your chick starter was?

What is the age of your duck now.. At some point, if you already know it's a drake.. the damage has been done and will not correct itself. The supplementation *may* still be required and/or beneficial.. I'm not sure if nutritional yeast is enough or it's content value. See the guide in following link.. (the * near the bottom mentions the importance of protein during the growth phase for reference)

https://www.metzerfarms.com/nutritional-requirements.html

Hope he is still thriving and otherwise healthy! :fl

Back
Top Bottom