Pekin duck limp from jumping out of swimming pool

donaquijote

Songster
10 Years
Jul 9, 2012
San Francisco
I just brought home yesterday a very young Pekin female who was rescued from one of the wildfires end of August in northern CALIFORNIA. I’ve only had her one day and today she is limping from jumping out of her swimming pool. Other than putting dried leaves thickly around the pool, can any one suggest anything else I might do?
She also has one wing that sticks out and back from her body and it is very pronounced. Any thoughts anyone can share?

Could you post a video of her trying to walk? You'll need to upload it to a video platform like youtube or Vimeo, then copy/paste the link here.

How old would you say she is? Do you know the kind of diet, and housing she was being kept in? Have you inspected her leg, for any lesions, discoloration, warm spots, or Bumblefoot on the foot pads?

The wing sticking out, sounds like Angel wing to me.

I cant post a video because this happened this a.m. As for her age she has not started laying eggs, so my guess is she was a spring 2020 duckling and may be 5-6 mos. old. She was rescued by the Napa County rescue along with a goat and the sweetest young pig.
What is Angel wing and can it be corrected?

She is super lightweight so I guess that she has not been well fed other than what they gave her at the Napa HS. No bumblefoot as one footpad was slightly burned but is healing well.

My Muscovy drake did the same injured his leg from not using the ramp and just jumping out of the pool. Took him a few weeks to stop limping. I just kept him from using the leg much so it could heal. And put fencing around the pool so they had to use the ramp to get in an out. Hopefully your lil one will heal quick since she so young. Bless you for taking her in. might want to make sure she is getting adequate amount of calcium in her diet since she's laying. She may be deficient since she is not a normal healthy weight yet.

My Muscovy drake did the same injured his leg from not using the ramp and just jumping out of the pool. Took him a few weeks to stop limping. I just kept him from using the leg much so it could heal. And put fencing around the pool so they had to use the ramp to get in an out. Hopefully your lil one will heal quick since she so young. Bless you for taking her in. might want to make sure she is getting adequate amount of calcium in her diet since she's laying. She may be deficient since she is not a normal healthy weight yet.
My little rescue wood duck Jackie had a little limp for about a week when she was about 2 months old. We think it was either from hopping off of something (she's an adventurer!) or even getting her foot tangled in my clothing. Maybe see if she will let you touch it gently? So glad you took her in!!!

I just brought home yesterday a very young Pekin female who was rescued from one of the wildfires end of August in northern CALIFORNIA. I’ve only had her one day and today she is limping from jumping out of her swimming pool. Other than putting dried leaves thickly around the pool, can any one suggest anything else I might do?
She also has one wing that sticks out and back from her body and it is very pronounced. Any thoughts anyone can share?
Pekins are big birds and jumping in and out of a wading pool is going to be hard on their legs and joint. I built a ramp going up to mine, put a block of wood under it to hold it in place. On the other side of the ramp, just inside the pool, I put a cinder block, which we smoothed the edges on to prevent any cuts, and this works nicely for the ducks to easily go in and out of the pool!

So...this little duck named Poppy that I rescued from a fire in Northern California is NOT A GIRL! And now he is humping my old female Peaches who doesn't deserve nor want this in her retirement! I don't know what to do other than try to take him back to the Napa Valley rescue where I got him. He is super lightweight at this stage but Peaches doesn't want his attention and since she is lame, I don't want her to have to fend him off! Anyone please have any ideas about what I can do? I certainly want to keep him safe so no one would raise him to eat him but I have to protect my poor Peaches.

Maybe if you bring him back he will be adopted by someone who would like a drake. I agree, you need to protect your duck!

Thank you for your suggestion. Trouble is I've gotten a bit fond of this little duck...but you are right that I have to protect Peaches and as he grows, his amorous assaults on her are only going to increase!

Back
Top Bottom